"Seeing the World, A step at a time..." jesa00's Profile

Journey of Discovery

Confucius says " A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

As a child, I've always been fascinated with the world. From the time my parents brought home an entire encyclopedia set, i was hooked on discovering the world, discovering the different people around the world... in fact! I wanted to discover the universe.

Reading about the capital cities of the world, looking at pictures of iconic landmarks, the 7 wonders of the world, rock formations, history and how was a place discovered, the journey of Columbus. All these intrigued me,
from the Leaning Towers of Pisa, to the Eiffel Tower, the Machu Picchu and the Inca Gods, the Aztecs, Stonehenge....and so on. I wanted to see them all, i wanted to learn them all, a kid at the age of 3 or 4.

After all these years, the pasion never died, books and tv became a mean to escape and now, finally after all these years of dreams, books and tv.. I have embarked on a journey of discovery. A late bloomer in the travel arena but like they say.. "it's better late than never"

Malaysia, My Home

Traveling within the country is simply amazing. A a couple of hours south and you're right in the middle of the historic city of Malaysia, a few hours to the east and you'll be faced with pristine beaches, pine trees and sandy beaches and not to mention the beautiful islands off the coast. A few days away from the hustle and bustle surrounded by nothing but sea, sand and water. Going up north, the countryside changes and voila! You see padi fields, water buffaloes and the simple way of life.

The Simple Life...

Having spent my growing up years in various homes and towns... going back to one of them just recently brought back many memories. Driving through oil palm plantations and a now tarred road (we had to drive through narrow laterite roads when i was growing up), memories of my almost forgotten childhood came flooding back. Life here is still laid back and relaxed. Though it's a mere 18 km away from where I now live... the difference in the air, the scenery, is just amazing. It is as though time just stood still. Drinking fresh coconut water right from the coconut growing in the garden to eating sugar cane right from the tree.. Oh! marvelous..

My 2010 Travel Aim

Like everyone else.. i had dreams of traveling the world... all at the same time but then coming back from La La Land I realized that I hadn't strike the lottery or neither am I rich and like most of us.. I have to work to realize this dream so I planned my travels this year to a more workable plan...

I have plans to visit these places but we'll see if it happens.. there's:
- Amsterdam
- Brussels (this is a must as my sister is getting married!)
- Paris
- London
- BRAZIL!!!!

Why is the last emphasized? Well, it's been my dream.. since I was a child to travel or live in South America.. it's the entire romantic notion of it.. I know but the pull is strong. I took the first step in 1996 to learn Spanish.. but then, I decided.. I'm half portuguese.. I best go to Brazil and visit roots that are similar to mine so in 2009, I took up Portuguese.. self taught and with help from some really good online buddies and a tutor near me I can proudly say.. my proficiency in the language is not too bad... weak but I think I can survive.

So with fingers... and toes crossed.. I hope I get myself to Brazil this year.. .;-))

• Intro Updated Oct 5, 2010

• ThiagoRamos's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Hi Gwen!!! I´m glad you´ve enjoyed my page. Thank you very much for your kind comments!!! I loved your story too. I have the same nervous need to visit every single country, city or place I see on the web or on TV. Crazy thing, but it´s great!!!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Thank you for your kind comment on my Paris page. Wishing you an excellent stay. Don't hesitate to question me about museums and monuments (I'm not up to date for night life!)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
jesa00's Profile Photo

jesa00

“One life time... MAXIMISE”

Ranked Member