"Abalone dive anyone?" Fort Ross State Historic Park by jakesanderson
Fort Ross State Historic Park Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 91 photos
Fort Ross is pretty much the closest sheltered dive spot near Santa Rosa, where I live. Some friends introduced me to a little cover just to the north where we can almost always get in the water and pick up a few abalone and maybe spear a fish or two. This is what I love to do on a friday afternoon after work, weather permitting.
The main cove has a sunken ship, and an even more protected entrance, with a fairly easy access trail. You can also launch kayaks here, and can paddle around the harbor, or, as we have done in the past, make a one-way shuttle journey south to Jenner at the mouth of the Russian River, a trip of about 10 miles.
There is also an old Russian fort here, as this was the Russian Empire's southernmost holding in North America before the US bought Alaska and any other claims they had on the continent.
- In a nutshell:Get your fix of history and the ocean.
jakesanderson's Related Pages
Fort Ross State Historic Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "19th Century Russian Claim on California Coastline"
- "Failed attempt to build Russian America."
- "Farthest Outpost of the Russian Empire"
- "Abalone dive anyone?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Ross State Historic Park
- Transportation in Fort Ross State Historic Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Ross State Historic Park
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Fort Ross State Historic Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Ross State Historic Park
Top 10 Pages
- Corsica Intro, 1 review, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Avignon Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arles Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Russian Gulch State Park Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lyon Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oregon Caves National Monument 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Zürich Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Monaco Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stuttgart Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Shelter Cove 7 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.