"LHASA AT LHAST!" Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa by mavl
Lhasa Travel Guide: 512 reviews and 1,371 photos
at long last, i made it to the top of the world! it turned out to be so much more than i expected - the people, the culture, the architecture, the history, the landscape, and the sky!
oh yes, the sky! you may be 12,000 ft. closer to it here but it feels like all its colors have been magnified a million times - the blues are piercing, the white clouds glow.
you still witness the culture of this enigmatic place the moment you step out of your hotel and, when you enter the age-old monasteries, all your senses will immediately be engaged.
- the contrast of rich dark fabrics against whitewashed walls, the golden spires against the bright blue skies.
- the gutteral voices of monks chanting and the creaking of impossibly steep wooden stairways.
- the unmistakable scents of burning incense and butter lamps.
- the ancient feel of the stuffy interiors.
- the taste of stale saliva in your mouth as it's been agape with awe since entering!
in lhasa, most people on the street are either locals wearing traditional tibetan attire, monks wearing their striking red robes, or backpacking tourists like myself.
ok, you'll occasionally see a monk in rubbershoes chatting on a mobile phone.
make sure you bring a videocam (or at least a digicam with decent video capability) when you go to sera... more travel advice
when going around lhasa, make sure you: 1. bring your own supply of toilet paper. 2. bring one magazine (at least 'time... more travel advice
mavl's Related Pages
Lhasa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lhasa, the pilgrim capital of Tibet"
- "LHASA AT LHAST!"
- "Lhasa, the capital of pilgrims"
- "Go to Lhasa before its ruined!!!"
- "Lhasa! Lookie Lookie!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lhasa
- Hotels in Lhasa
- Transportation in Lhasa
- Nightlife in Lhasa
- Restaurants in Lhasa
- Shopping in Lhasa
- Warnings and Dangers in Lhasa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lhasa
- 22 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Lhasa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lhasa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 59 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 4 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Damxoi Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Angkor Thum Intro, 1 review, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 3 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues