"PILGRIMAGE TO FATIMA" Fátima by mavl
Fátima Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 184 photos
as much as the place has been 'modernized,' it still exudes an unmistakably serene atmosphere. even when the visitors increased in number, i still couldn't get distracted. fatima draws you, even when you're already at the doorstep of the apparition site and the church.
by the way, d.c. (dark cloud - my dark cloud, that is) made another appearance halfway up the mountains to fatima. once again, we got caught in the middle of a strike! this time, it was by the public transportation bus drivers and it happened right when we were en route!
so, there we were, the only two people stuck at a bus station in the middle of the mountains (can't even remember exactly where) waiting for hours for some kind of vehicle - any kind of vehicle - to pass by. but, there was nothing.
we finally just got on a phone and called for a taxi to pick us up - from lisbon! can you imagine the surprise of the operator when she asked where we wanted the taxi to meet us? so that's that.
however, we kinda did something improper (insert sheepish grin here). while waiting for our taxi to come, a bus for fatima pulled up, lo and behold! we had all of thirty seconds to decide whether we'd stay and wait for the cab or hop on the bus. when the doors were about to close, we decided to board. figured it was getting late and there was no actual assurance that the cab would arrive so, hesitantly, we opted for the sure thing.
i therefore apologize to the portugese taxi driver, whoever he is and assuming he's portugese and not from somewhere else, who went all the way there to pick us up, assuming he actually did.
so there, everything's right in the universe again.
mavl's Related Pages
Fátima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "...not a pilgrimage..."
- "Religous? Make your own mind up!"
- "Fatima - Faith and Business"
- "Fatima - Portugal's Holiest Town"
- "Sinners & Saints"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fátima
- Hotels in Fátima
- Transportation in Fátima
- Nightlife in Fátima
- Restaurants in Fátima
- Shopping in Fátima
- Warnings and Dangers in Fátima
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fátima
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Fátima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fátima
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 59 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 4 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Damxoi Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Angkor Thum Intro, 1 review, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 3 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (103)
Latest Fátima hotel reviews
- Ibis Leiria
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 10, 2012
- Hotel Avenida de Fatima
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Santa Maria Hotel Fatima
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Cova da Iria Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Feb 14, 2010
- Domus Pacis
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2012
- Cruz Alta
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 13, 2011