"DONSOL, HOME OF THE WHALESHARK" Top 5 Page for this destination Donsol by mavl
Donsol Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 404 photos
the spotter standing on the bow cries "butanding!" (that's the local term for whaleshark)
the officer assigned to your boat screams "GO, GO, GO!" and you dive into the water even though your better judgement tells you not to (assuming you have my kind of luck - see story re parrot fish attack on my hp).
you swallow a gallon of saltwater because you're too frantic to get to the spot where the officer thinks you'll cross its path.
you don't see anything more than 5 feet from your nose because the water is murky with micro-organisms (which is why they come here in the first place).
there is a lull and there is nothing in front of you. suddenly, without any warning, the five-foot wide mouth of a whaleshark is three feet from your nose!!! before you can scream, the rest of its bus-sized body swims right past you!!!
finally, you're able to let out the most primal scream your voicebox will ever produce! you'll scream so loud that even though you're underwater, the people on the boat several meters away will still hear you through your snorkel!
even though you know it's docile, it eats plankton, and it's perfectly harmless, your heart will still pound practically out of your chest! it's the size of a bus for goodness' sake!
before you know it, the butanding is gone and you're left in the middle of the bay gasping for breath. you swim back to the boat with the biggest smile your face will ever come up with and you climb on board and scream again.
five minutes later, the spotter cries "butanding" again and you're off to the races, your fears nothing but a distant memory.
you have to try this at least once in your life or you haven't lived at all!!!
proof that i actually did it? check these short videos out:
if you are going to donsol to swim with the whalesharks, expect to pay around 3,500 pesos (around US$70) for the boat... more travel advice
before each swim with the whalesharks (you'll have several during your stint on the boat if you go well within the... more travel advice
mavl's Related Pages
Donsol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Donsol is Butanding"
- "DONSOL, HOME OF THE WHALESHARK"
- "Go for the Whale Sharks, Leave with a lot more"
- "Donsol:Swimming with the whale sharks"
- "Swimming with Whale Sharks in Donsol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Donsol
- Hotels in Donsol
- Transportation in Donsol
- Nightlife in Donsol
- Restaurants in Donsol
- Shopping in Donsol
- Warnings and Dangers in Donsol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Donsol
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Donsol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Donsol
Photos in DonsolSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 59 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 4 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Damxoi Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Angkor Thum Intro, 1 review, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 3 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues