"Reading PA" Top 5 Page for this destination Reading by icsgirl28

Reading Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 29 photos

I've Always Lived Here

This is where I was born, and still live. It's located in Berks County Pennsylvania, about 1 hour west of Philadelphia. This area is considered "Pennsylvania Dutch Country", although my family doesn't have much German blood.

There's not much to inspire someone to visit this area, at least in my opinion. Downtown we have the Sovereign Center which hosts venues, for example Cher, American Idols Live, that sort of thing. The downtown area has been in a state of decline for several decades, and there have been some efforts in the past 10 years to improve it, it's usually not a destination. People will go downtown to see a show at the Sovereign Center, take a class at the Goggle Works, or Sovereign Center for the Performing Arts, and may go early to enjoy a meal at one of several dining establishments, or stay after to have a few drinks at the local pubs. Crime is definitely a deterrent, especially after dark. I will not go downtown after dark without my husband. Call me a sissy if you need to, but I've had several negative experiences.

• Pros:Goggle Works, Sovereign Arena and Performing Arts Center
  • Cons:Drug infested, poor transportation infrastructure, high crime & taxes
  • In a nutshell:The freaks come out at night.
  • Intro Updated Jul 16, 2006

Comments

icsgirl28 Lives Here!

Badges & Stats in Reading

Have you been to Reading?

Latest Activity in Reading