"Vinalhaven Island - A Real Maine Experience" Vinalhaven by WheninRome

Vinalhaven Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 83 photos

Not Your Typical Tourist Destination

If you want to avoid crowds, see immense beauty and get a taste of a real Maine lobster village, then Vinalhaven Island is your place. We spent a week on the island and loved every minute of it!

Throughout the 1800's Vinalhaven Island become a leader in Maine's granite block production industry. According to the Vinalhaven, Maine Chamber of Commerce website, Vinalhaven Island cut and polished granite was used in buildings throughout the U.S. including at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge, the Board of Trade in Chicago, the Washington Monument, and the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in NYC to name a few.

The island has also been a primary fishing center (however I didn't catch anything while there) and is now primarily a lobster village. Lobstering is now the major business activity on the island with lobster boats, lobster bouys, lobster traps, lobstermen, lobster (I am beginning to feel like Forest Gump) everywhere.

A View From the Deck

This was one of the most relaxing vacations I have had. Some mornings we would make coffee and sit on the deck watching the lobster boats work the waters in front of our rental house. Other mornings I would get up early and bike into town to beg for baitfish from the lobster docks for fishing later in the day.

In the afternoons I would fish, or we would kayak, explore uninhabited islands off the coast, hike in the numerous nature preserves on the island, bike around and explore Vinalhaven Island itself, or simply read from one of the many outdoor adventure books the owner of the house had in his vast library. In the cool evenings sometimes we would make a fire in the living room's woodburning stove and crack a window and listen to the ocean.

• Last visit to Vinalhaven: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 12, 2007

• Beljanewood's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Great tips. Vinalhaven is one of my favorite places.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Those Maine lobsters sounds good. I love our own westcoast lobsters (Atlantic ocean), more tasty than the east coast ones(Indian ocean). ;-)

• WheninRome's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2007 at 6:24 PM

karenincalifornia - AAA was going to come over to the island, but I was embarrassed about that and changed it myself.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2007 at 6:52 AM

A very interesting read. The vacation house rental is an absolute dream. You've tempted me to go there.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2007 at 8:02 PM

If there are no mechanics, what does one do when one's car breaks down? Bring one over? Absolutely loved your Vinalhaven page. I totally agree with you on the house thing - you got yourself a winner!

WheninRome

“Cruises - If I wanted to be on a boat with a couple thousand other people I would have joined the navy.”

Badges & Stats in Vinalhaven

Have you been to Vinalhaven?

Latest Activity in Vinalhaven