"Vinalhaven Island - A Real Maine Experience" Vinalhaven by WheninRome
Vinalhaven Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 83 photos
If you want to avoid crowds, see immense beauty and get a taste of a real Maine lobster village, then Vinalhaven Island is your place. We spent a week on the island and loved every minute of it!
Throughout the 1800's Vinalhaven Island become a leader in Maine's granite block production industry. According to the Vinalhaven, Maine Chamber of Commerce website, Vinalhaven Island cut and polished granite was used in buildings throughout the U.S. including at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge, the Board of Trade in Chicago, the Washington Monument, and the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in NYC to name a few.
The island has also been a primary fishing center (however I didn't catch anything while there) and is now primarily a lobster village. Lobstering is now the major business activity on the island with lobster boats, lobster bouys, lobster traps, lobstermen, lobster (I am beginning to feel like Forest Gump) everywhere.
This was one of the most relaxing vacations I have had. Some mornings we would make coffee and sit on the deck watching the lobster boats work the waters in front of our rental house. Other mornings I would get up early and bike into town to beg for baitfish from the lobster docks for fishing later in the day.
In the afternoons I would fish, or we would kayak, explore uninhabited islands off the coast, hike in the numerous nature preserves on the island, bike around and explore Vinalhaven Island itself, or simply read from one of the many outdoor adventure books the owner of the house had in his vast library. In the cool evenings sometimes we would make a fire in the living room's woodburning stove and crack a window and listen to the ocean.
Granted, the beach combing here may not be as easy or as profitable as it is in more sandly locals, however, it can... more travel advice
I should emphasize that the return trip to Rockland from Vinalhaven operates in the same way. You must have a... more travel advice
WheninRome's Related Pages
Vinalhaven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vinalhaven - Connecting to the Past"
- "Vinalhaven Island - A Real Maine Experience"
- "The new arrivals...."
- "Sights on Vinalhaven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vinalhaven
- Hotels in Vinalhaven
- Transportation in Vinalhaven
- Restaurants in Vinalhaven
- Shopping in Vinalhaven
- Warnings and Dangers in Vinalhaven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vinalhaven
- 16 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Vinalhaven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vinalhaven
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 47 reviews, 127 photos, 2 travelogues
- Keswick Intro, 23 reviews, 76 photos
- London Intro, 18 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cleveland Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jackson Intro, 14 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vinalhaven Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Ohio Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos
- Acadia National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 22 photos