"Make it to Macau" Concelho de Macau by arianne_1504
Concelho de Macau Travel Guide: 735 reviews and 2,527 photos
Macau has been home to a colourful mix of cultures and races - Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch, Moorish, Spanish and British - and their remarkable legacy lives on.
Macau is a 60 minute jetfoil ride from Hong Kong, which makes for a great day trip.
The former enclave, which consists of a mainland promontory (Macau Peninsula) and two offshore islands - Taipa and Cologne, reverted to Chinese sovereignty in December 1999 after 400 years of Portuguese administration. Macau Special Administrative Region has an area of 28.2 sq. km
In neighbourhoods of cobblestone streets and pastel buildings, with church bells ringing, you might imagine you are in a town in southern Portugal. A beautiful reminder of an era gone by.
Turn a corner, and shops selling dried herbs and medicines, with the clack-clack of mahjong tiles from an open window above, are an immediate reminder of Macau's actual location. Yet fringing the atmospheric backlanes are modern skyscrapers. Not to mention more casinos than you can poke a stick at!
Christian and Chinese festivals are celebrated with fireworks, processions, dragon boat races, solemnity, noise and laughter.
- Pros:Beautiful Streetscapes
Built in 1602, all that remains of the greatest of Macau's churches is its magnificent stone facade and grand... more travel advice
The statue of Kun Lam is a bronze icon which presides over the Macau waterfront. At its base is the Eccumenical Centre. more travel advice
arianne_1504's Related Pages
Concelho de Macau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "M A C A U - more than just casinos"
- "Macau Challenge"
- "M A C A U"
- "LAS VEGAS OF THE ORIENT"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Concelho de Macau
- Hotels in Concelho de Macau
- Transportation in Concelho de Macau
- Nightlife in Concelho de Macau
- Restaurants in Concelho de Macau
- Shopping in Concelho de Macau
- Warnings and Dangers in Concelho de Macau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Concelho de Macau
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Concelho de Macau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Concelho de Macau
Photos in Concelho de MacauSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Margaret River Intro, 46 reviews, 83 photos
- Perth Intro, 71 reviews, 41 photos
- Singapore Intro, 49 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 42 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pemberton Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos
- Takayama Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Fremantle Intro, 23 reviews, 12 photos