Perth Off The Beaten Path Tips by arianne_1504
Perth Off The Beaten Path: 238 reviews and 399 photos
362 Croyden Road Roleystone
Open Daily 9am-6pm.
In 1929 J.J. Simons established a holiday camp for the Young Australia League (YAL), on 150 acres of deep shaded valley at Roleystone. Simons called his valley, “Araluen”, an Eastern States aboriginal word meaning “singing waters”, “running waters” or “place of lilies”.
The YAL sold Araluen in 1985. Encouraged by strong community support, the State Government purchased the Park in 1990.
Since this time, restoration of heritage structures, gardens, paths, steps and terraces, as well the completion of new capital works programs such as the new, passive green central lawn ‘heart’, the spectacularly attractive watercourse and the extra public facilities which replace the noisy, unsafe old bitumen carpark have occurred.
As a primary school student I dreaded Araluen. It was one of the places to go for our school camps and everyone who came back hated it and kids ended up sick from the food.
However, nowadays Araluen hosts stunning scenery, with masses of tulips during Spring. There are walk trails and areas for picnics and many special events are held here now. There is a restaurant on the premises.
"It's Yates Springtime at Araluen" (August/September)
ADULTS : $8.00
CHILD (5 - 16yrs) : $4.00
FAMILY (2 Adults & up to 6 Children) : $20.00
CONCESSION : $7.00
Chilli Festival (February)
ADULTS : $10.00
CHILD (5 - 16yrs) : $5.00
FAMILY (2 Adults & up to 6 Children): $25.00
ADULTS : $4.00
CHILD (5 - 16yrs) : $2.00
FAMILY (2 Adults & up to 6 Children) : $10.00
Electric Scooter Hire $5 per two hour hire ($10.00 bond required)
Wheelchair Hire Free ($10.00 bond required)
Electric/Wood BBQs Free
Phone: +61 8 9496 1171
Churchman Brook dates back to the infancy of the Swan River colony. The land, which included which is now Churchman Brook, was granted to Captain Charles Blisset Churchman in 1831. His enjoyment only lasted for three years before ownership fell to his sisters, who eventually sold the land to Thomas Buckingham.
The area went through various incarnations, most interestingly as a logging area where timber was exported to England for road building. However, it became most famous during the 1920’s and 30’s when Perth’s reservoirs and dams were constructed. In 1923 the Chief Engineer of the of the Water Supply Department, F.W. Lawson, recommended that three dams be built to combat Perth’s severe water shortages.
Churchman Brook dam was completed three years later under the supervision of Sir Russell Dumas.
Today all three dams feature picnic areas that prove very popular with families, thanks to its scenic beauty, excellent facilities and closeness to Perth. There are picnic areas, several with free gas barbecues and a large grassed playing area. I remember many a picnic lunch here in my childhood.
There are also marked walk trails through natural bush. Wildlife is abundant and in the wildflower season from July to November, the surrounding bush is carpeted with native flowers. A pathway also leads from the picnic area at the base of the dam wall to the top of the wall for an excellent viewing point.
How to get there
From Perth city centre, take Albany Highway towards Armadale. Just beyond the suburb of Kelmscott turn left at traffic lights into Brookton Highway. Follow the highway for 5km then turn right into Soldiers Road. The dam entrance is approximately 2km further on the left.
The dam is open to visitors until 6pm.
If you're in for a night out with the girls, check out Collars and Cuffs male review at The Penthouse Night Club & Bar, 623 Wellington Street, Perth. Collars and Cuffs is an institution in Perth since 1985, but you've got to see it to believe it. A great night out for a birthday, hens night, christmas function or just for the heck of it.
And it's usually for a good cause, with the guys holding frequent fund raising events to support a number of charities.
Phone: +61 8 9370 1417
More Reviews (68)
- See All Shakespeare in the Park
- See All Drinks with St George
- See All Polish Kitchen
- See All Are you game?
- Shopping in the City
arianne_1504's Related Pages
Perth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Perth - Western Australia"
- "Perth - Home of Lovely Beaches & Awesome Sunsets"
- "Here in Western Australia-Perth"
- "My Home - PERTH"
- "Perth...A Home Away From Home"
- "Perth's Newest Hotel , Holiday Inn Burswood"
- "The city on the Swan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Perth
- Hotels in Perth
- Transportation in Perth
- Nightlife in Perth
- Restaurants in Perth
- Shopping in Perth
- Warnings and Dangers in Perth
- See All...
Explore the World
- Panguitch Hotels
- Loch Lubnaig Hotels
- Lhasa Hotels
- Port Sheldon Hotels
- Charlottetown Off The Beaten Path
- North Georgia Mountains & Waterfalls
- Samos Off The Beaten Path
- Penang Off The Beaten Path
- Madurodam - The Hague
- Sonoma Off The Beaten Path
- Syros Island Off The Beaten Path
- Lido di Venezia
- Eritrea Off The Beaten Path
- Sochi Off The Beaten Path
- Tagaytay City Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Perth
- 71 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Perth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Perth
Photos in PerthSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Margaret River Intro, 46 reviews, 83 photos
- Perth Intro, 71 reviews, 41 photos
- Singapore Intro, 49 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 42 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pemberton Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos
- Takayama Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Fremantle Intro, 23 reviews, 12 photos
Latest Perth hotel reviews
- Exclusive Backpackers
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 15, 2013
- Falls Retreat Bed & Breakfast Perth
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 9, 2013
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- One World Backpackers
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Canning Bridge Auto Lodge
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- The Statton on Murray
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 19, 2012
- Billabong Resort
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 17, 2013
- Flag Motor Lodge
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 6, 2013
- All Season Observation Rise Hotel
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 1, 2013
- Mounts Bay Waters Apartment Hotel
- 242 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Quest On Arlington Perth
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2013
- Sundancer Backpackers Perth
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Raffles Hotel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Metro Hotel Perth
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- YMCA Jewell House
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Kings Park- 106 Reviews, 178 Photos
- City Centre- 62 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Rottnest Island- 45 Reviews, 70 Photos
- Fremantle- 51 Reviews, 87 Photos
- The Pinnacles- 20 Reviews, 28 Photos
- AQWA - Under Water World- 16 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Cottesloe- 25 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Caversham Wildlife Park- 15 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Bell Tower- 27 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Wave Rock- 13 Reviews, 15 Photos
See All Perth Things to Do