"All Abroad!" arianne_1504's Profile

Me, me, me...

Hey there,

My name is Michelle and I live in the beautiful state of Western Australia. I live 15-20 minutes from both the City and Fremantle, close to everything. I grew up thinking that I couldn't think of anything worse than travelling. I never wanted to leave home. I don't know whether it was fear of the unknown, fear of never being able afford it or the fear that if I enjoyed it I wouldn't be able to stop once I started.

In my late teens I started reading biographical novels about China and I fell in love with them and the pictures they created in my head about this fascinating country. So when a friend of my youngest sister's told me she was heading to China in June 2002 and asked whether I wanted to go with her, although I'd never been outside of Australia and China was a pretty tough place to start my foray into travel, I jumped at the chance.

Now I can't wait to plan my next trip wherever it may take me....

China

My first trip ever took me to China in June 2002. I went to Beijing, Xian, Suzhou, Zhouzhuang and Shanghai, and although I was going through a few personal battles at the time and didn't enjoy the experience as I should have when I was there, the magnitude of it all has stayed with me forever.

One day I want to return and visit some other parts of China and be able to savour every single moment properly. Though I'm having trouble finding people that want to go with me, so I may have to conquer my fears of travelling alone first!

WA's South West

When my youngest sister moved to Margaret River in February 2006, we were all heartbroken. But we had a ball exploring the Margaret River region for the 5 years she was there. There's such a lot to offer, nature based activities, swimming, surfing, wineries, breweries, historical sites, good shops, fantastic food and great people. I've been to all those little towns around the region, like Busselton, Dunsborough, Cowaramup, Pemberton, Augusta and Witchcliffe.

Hong Kong & Macau

Mum and I headed off to Hong Kong and Macau in November 06. I loved the fast pace of Hong Kong and despite the streets looking a bit like rollercoasters (looping back on themselves all over the palce), we found it really easy to get around.

We did a day tour to Macau which was interesting, but I don't know if I'd stay for more than a day on subsequent visits. I think we saw quite a lot of what Macau had to offer in that one day.

Vietnam, Thailand & Cambodia

I spent two weeks in Vietnam, Thailand & Cambodia in March 08 - what an awesome trip! And what an awesome experience to see the temples of Angkor Wat. Cambodia was something I just did not expect.

We only spent a few days in Ho Chi Minh City and Bangkok and that was probably enough - they weren't particularly endearing, but probably because I didn't spend much time outside the main cities or seeing the sites. I'd love to go back and do a whole tour of Vietnam to do it justice. Though I can tell you a return trip to Cambodia is definitely on the cards.

Japan

I spent April 2010 surrounded by cherry blossoms in Japan. My 2 week whirlwind tour of Japan took in Tokyo, Nagoya, Takayama, Kyoto and Osaka. Aside from the cherry blossoms, it was magical to wake up to snow on my birthday, something I'd never seen before and was certainly not anticipating on this trip!

I hope I get the chance to go back to Japan. It was an amazing experience.

GUESS WHAT! I've booked a flight to Japan in November 2012. It's only for 8 days, but it's my first solo trip outside of Australia. I am so nervous and excited! I'm going to spend 3 nights in Kyoto, 3 nights in Tokyo and 2 nights in Narita. And I've set up a blog site to capture the journey if you're interested! Can't wait!

Singapore

My first visit to Singapore was in June 2002 enroute home from China, where I had a two/three day stopover. Although I didn't stay long, I found this place to be an amazing oasis and a really exciting experience.

In November 2006, I bought my Mum along to visit Singapore and she loved it.

Cheap airfares saw me heading on a family trip to Singapore in October 2008. Mum had already fallen in love with Singapore and Dad, despite his reluctance to go in the first place, wasn't far behind. We checked out the Flyer, stayed on Sentosa island, saw the amazing Fire Walking Festival and I even managed to see Motley Crue in Concert!

As Mum had loved her first two visits to Singapore, we decided to make Singapore our stopover on the way home from Japan in April 2010. This time I took in Changi, dined at an array of awesome restaurants, headed over the Johor Bahru and shopped til I dropped!

A spur of the moment girls trip to Singapore appeared on the horizon in December 2010! We checked out the Christmas Light Up, the new Marina Bay, the new Resorts World, the Night Safari and Orchard Road! This was my first 'girls holiday' to Singapore and it was fantastic to try out some of the bars and shop til we dropped!

Then another trip in July 2011 on another girls trip - this time it was a well rounded trip with a day at Spa Botanica, a day trip to Melaka, facing fears and forcing relaxation, as well as shopping with plenty of room for cocktails. Did I mention I love this place?

Yesterday we booked a girls trip for a group of 6 girls in August 2012. And then today I booked my birthday trip to Singapore for April. Singapore's gonna get sick of me soon!

The East Coast of Australia

Melbourne
Having family in Melbourne, I've made several trips and I love it each time. It's so cosmopolitan and arty, with great food and shopping. I just love the vibe.

Sydney
Given that I had spent the last 5 months renovating my home, I decided it was time to travel on home soil for my birthday in April 2011. So Mum and I jetted off to Sydney, but it didn't leave me feeling very inspired...

• Intro Updated Mar 17, 2012

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
arianne_1504's Profile Photo

arianne_1504

“Travelling makes you realise how lucky you are.”

Real Name