"The northenmost city in the world!?" Top 5 Page for this destination Hammerfest by adema29
Hammerfest Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 415 photos
Hammerfest has been declared the World's northernmost city on 17 July 1789 and it is hardly fighting to keep that unchanged.
It is still a very important harbour and its fishing industry was always a good business up here. Now the city is flourishing especially due to the construction of the northernmost LNG plant on the Melkoya, a small island in the vicinity of the city.
It was declared first city in the world using the electric street lighting in 1891 but I have to remind you (as a good Romanian) that Timisoara was doing this starting with 1889.
The population is a bit more than 9000 people living in a large area from Soroya to Forsol and Rypefjiord.
You can come here by boat, airplane, car, bike, bicycle or what ever you wish to due to the fact that the city has a benefit of a very good infrastructure.
The airport here is really impressive having about 16 flights per day… For a city with this population it is not a common thing.
The best way to come here seems to be the Coastal Steamer that is leaving everyday the city of Bergen on its way up to Kirkenes. Better known as Hurtigrutten this seems to offer the best view over Norway you can ever dream about.
I use to fly there with the local Wideroe http://www.wideroe.no They have good connections from Tromso. The price may be... more travel advice
It was the only building standing after the Second World War...It was maybe the soul of the future new city. The... more travel advice
adema29's Related Pages
Hammerfest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The northenmost city in the world!?"
- "the northernmost town on earth"
- "The northernmost town in the world"
- "70 degrees north"
- "Knoto's new Hammerfest Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hammerfest
- Hotels in Hammerfest
- Transportation in Hammerfest
- Nightlife in Hammerfest
- Restaurants in Hammerfest
- Shopping in Hammerfest
- Warnings and Dangers in Hammerfest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hammerfest
- 32 Reviews
- 149 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Hammerfest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hammerfest
- Posted in Travel Genoa Forum "Re: Four days in Genoa in April"
- Commented on one of travelfrosch's Hammerfest travel pages
- Wrote a Review How to go there?... in Hammerfest Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "How to go there?..."
- updated a Hammerfest Travelogue "Stained Glass in Hammerfest Luteran Church"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 73 reviews, 348 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hammerfest Intro, 32 reviews, 149 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 33 reviews, 112 photos
- Cimpina Intro, 22 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 19 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brasov Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 18 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos