"Kongsberg-"King's Mountain"" Top 5 Page for this destination Kongsberg by adema29

Kongsberg Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 131 photos

Another city in Norway, another unique experience

Kongsberg is one of the medium sized cities in Norway, founded in 1964 as a mining city by the Danish king Christian IV.
There were few silver mines which have attracted a lot of people, all of them looking for a better life but, for a heavy one as a miner here.
It is interesting anyway to mention that they have worked 5 days per week even few hundred years ago.
In the 18th century, Kongsberg was the second sized city in Norway, most of the population being involved in mining and the related industry.
Later it becomes an important industrial city, known for the weapons industry and as the "home" of Norwegian coins.
I was one of the few tourists having the chance to visit the royal mine. It was, as somebody said, the most unsafe moment in my life.
We have had a dinner there and I have to recognise that it was an unique experience.
I have tried to see as much as possible from the city and I would recommend you the Church and the Mining Museum which is more than one museum... Go there and you'll be impressed by the way they have organised that place.

• Last visit to Kongsberg: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Oct 28, 2010

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM

An interesting page ! I passed by Kongsberg more accidentally and it mainly found my attention by the streams of Numedalslågen !

adema29

“We are all the same, education makes the difference”

Badges & Stats in Kongsberg

Have you been to Kongsberg?

Latest Activity in Kongsberg