"Stavanger-Lovely city" Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger by adema29

Stavanger Travel Guide: 303 reviews and 996 photos

General things about Stavanger

Stavanger is he fourth largest city in Norway with a population of 120000 people. The population is growing very fast due to the high standard of life here and the multitude of jobs well paid, waiting for immigrants. It seems that in the city ar living about 50000 expats, most of them working in Oil and Gas Industry.
You may find here a lot of museums and the oldest Cathedral in Norway. In fact the year when the Cathedral has been built (1125) become the year when Stavanger is considered founded.
The Climate in Stavanger is strange for all the other Europeans. In the summer the temperature may rich 30 degrees Celsius and in the coldest days (few only in February) the temperature could drop at -10.
The thermometer I have on my window here in shadow is showing 5-10 deg in the winter time and 10-20 deg during the spring/summer.

2008 was a great year for Stavanger

It seems that Stavanger has passed with the right foot in 2008...The city was chosen to be the "European Capital of Culture".

In these pages we are trying to offer as much information as possible about Stavanger...We hope the one traveling to Stavanger will find our tips useful!

My second visit to Stavanger and... after

The second time I have been there only for a day. I have met a very good old friend and we have spent a good part of the night in the old pubs around the port.
The bad quality of the photo is due to the well known influence given by the three glasses of red wine:)

Anyway, I came back in 2007 and I've been living here until the beginning of 2011. I have to recognize that I have enjoyed almost every moment in that place and I am sure that I have seen more places than the common-locals.
You'll find some tips about all those places in my page about Stavanger, please feel free to ask me if you want to know more.
Our son is complaining from time to time that he miss Stavanger and the swans on the lake...

• Pros:Fresh air, beautiful landscape, friendly people
  • Cons:Very expensive, wonderful weather on May and June but bad all the rest of the year.
  • Last visit to Stavanger: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 22, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I think this is the first time I have ever read anything about Stavanger. From your Things to Do tips, this looks like a very interesting city even if it is the fourth most expensive in the world. I like the idea of the Broken Column.

• adema29's Profile Photo
      Aug 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM

OK, I have to recognize that I was there for about 6 years, almost all the time alone and I had nothing else to do than to visit the area. The city itself is small and you can see it even in less than an hour.
      But, the real beauty of Norway is out of the cities, along the "dalane and fjordane" (valleys and fiords), up in the mountains or close to the see. I know probably more about Stavanger than all the inhabitants as they were busy with the daily life whilst I was somehow in a long holiday there.
      I have to say that another point of interest in Stavanger are the people ( I don't want to specially highlight the ladies) and the events they are organizing almost everyday.
      I miss Norway and I am really sad that I didn't learned the language... I was probably too lazy to do it.
      For a cyclist like you, Norway is the Paradise, they have the North Sea route which can keep you busy for weeks :)
      The story of he broken column is even longer. It starts on here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony....
      Tank you again for your interest and for your ratings too. Have a nice evening!
      PS. Sorry for my poor English...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Aug 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Don't worry, your English is fine.
      It's too bad you didn't learn Norwegian, though. When I was in Vietnam I started learning Vietnamese, but after the first three or four months I ran out of energy and didn't really continue, which now I think was a shame.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Thanks for visiting my Iceland page and for this wonderful page on Stavanger. A lot of Icelanders are now looking for work in Norway so I especially enjoyed reading your tips and seeing your wonderful photos.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Thanks for your page!... Greetings from Ukraine! ><><><><

• Fam.Rauca's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 3:33 AM

A very good page with lots of superb pictures and many interesting tips! Gabriela

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Nice look at your off the beaten path :) the landscapes are stunning!

• Anjutka's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 7:54 AM

Hei! Really nice page of Stavanger! Beautiful pictures! I heard about cultural year there. It would be nice to visit. Thanks for tips

• codrutz's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2008 at 7:40 AM

hei, salutari, trebuie sa fie foarte frumos pe acolo prin Norvegia :)

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Beautiful town and so quaint. The houses in the Old Town are picture perfect. Wish the accommodation there was not so expensive. Thanks for visiting my Lysebotn page.

adema29 Used To Live Here!

adema29

“We are all the same, education makes the difference”

Badges & Stats in Stavanger

Have you been to Stavanger?

Latest Activity in Stavanger