"Steve & Erin's Travel Page" stivgross's Profile

Hello VT People!

My name is Steve. I live in Hawaii on the island of Oahu and teach high school math. I grew up in LA, but moved to Hawaii 3 years ago. I haven't travelled much, only leaving USA twice in my 45 years. My fiance Erin is also a high school teacher (science), but she has been just about everywhere in the world. We went to Nepal, Bali, Thailand for 6 weeks back in '98 and Fiji for 4 Weeks in '99.

About the only place Erin had not been was China. She had a grant to go to China for 3 weeks to give workshops for English teachers around Chengdu, so I decided to plan out this 17 day trip to China before she started the workshops. It's the first time I planned a trip, I think I did fairly well (no problems). I'll try to add a couple photos to this page when I get a chance

Our trip to China

Back on Oahu from 17 nights in China (July 10 - 27 of '06). Everything was wonderful. People really friendly, all transport (5 planes, 2 Boats and a Train) on schedule, great food and weather was kind as far as rain or extreme heat. Started (Steve & Erin) with round trip tickets Oahu to Hong Kong. First night in Hong Kong. Then Yangshuo (3 Nights), Yangtze River cruise (3), Xi'an (2) , Beijing (3), Overnight Train from Beijing to Shanghai, Shanghai (2) then back to Hong Kong (2). I (Steve) returned to Oahu the next day (27th) while Erin went to Chengdu to give an ESL workshop for teachers in rural areas for 21 days.

Expensive but great trip that ended up costing us $3000 each, not including round trip airfare to Hong Kong. Seemed like a good time to splurge. I hadn't been out of the USA for 6 years. If you want to know more, see my personal albums.

Where to go next?

I probably won't get to take a big trip until next summer (hopefully at least a 4 week trip this time).

Erin really wants to go to India. I'd really like to go back to China again soon.

Day 8 YiChang to Xi'an

Dec 24, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Aloha Steve, Mele Kelikimaka and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou. Larry

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 9:14 AM

so glad you liked Iris. My absolute favorite is Emmylou Harris - has been for over 30 years since the early days with the late Gram Parsons.

• Janani's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2006 at 10:50 AM

What a fantastic trip you had to China. I really enjoyed all the detail you included. I look forward to seeing the picures when you add them

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 8:12 PM

I can't believe I could've answered Krazy Kat and passed it up!!!

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 9:33 AM

ahhh!! I hated high school math--are you kind to your mathematically challenged students? :-)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

stivgross

“Appreciate it!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Real Name
Steve Gross
Location
Honolulu, Hawaii (State of)
Member Since