"Civilised & Revolutionary" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg by iaint

Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 545 photos

VT meet 2010

I fetched up here in October 2010 for the VT meet. My first organised big meet.

It was all organised by Zanzooni, and brought together a great collection of members form Scotland, England, Canada and the USA of course.

It kicked off with a welcome dinner on the Thursday night. Friday we all went to the Lake Anna Vineyard in nearby Spotsylvania County, and then on a ghost tour round the town.

Saturday brought a trip to the Luray caves, in the west of the state (which I missed (long story) and a group dinner.

Sunday we had to ourselves....

the town

Fred is an old and historic settlement. It is also beautiful.

One of the main historic elements to the town is its role in the Civil War, with 4 battles being fought in the area. Sadly for the town, being located half way between the Federal capital (Washington) and the Confederate capital (Richmond) and on the Rappahannock River made it strategically important.

The people are hugely friendly, and after a few days in northern cities, it really did feel like the South.

the history

The site of the main battle is located just outside town, and has a visitor centre - a tip will follow.

The town's history is everywhere in the downtown area, whether it is the slave auction block, an ancient building or a remnant form the war years.

• Pros:friendly, beautiful, laid back
  • Cons:none
  • In a nutshell:totally charming
  • Last visit to Fredericksburg: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Oct 24, 2010

• Suet's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I swore and farted? Nothing unusual there then.... I don't remember being noisy, in fact I was shusssshing you two hooligans! Great night out, wasn't it?

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM

I'm SO far in the past! I'm nowhere near doing a F'burg page! Still, really enjoyed this one - and the memories! Gillybob greetings

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2010 at 8:11 AM

This is a great page Iain We had a wonderful time eh Was great meeting you there Hope we willmeet again Good luck with your early winter weather

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

That looks real nice mate. Wish i coul been there with you guys.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Hi Iain, sounds like you enjoyed the meet & your visit to Fredericksburg! Rick & I really enjoyed meeting you!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2010 at 7:07 AM

Glad to hear you had a great time in Fredericksburg Iain and it was so nice to have met you.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Oh dear Iain...I did lead you lot astray didn't I....singing Waltzing Matilda ... hah! :o) ...Must have been all that Red Fred stuff! lol xx

iaint

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ”

Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg

Have you been to Fredericksburg?

Latest Activity in Fredericksburg