"Civilised & Revolutionary" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg by iaint
Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 545 photos
I fetched up here in October 2010 for the VT meet. My first organised big meet.
It was all organised by Zanzooni, and brought together a great collection of members form Scotland, England, Canada and the USA of course.
It kicked off with a welcome dinner on the Thursday night. Friday we all went to the Lake Anna Vineyard in nearby Spotsylvania County, and then on a ghost tour round the town.
Saturday brought a trip to the Luray caves, in the west of the state (which I missed (long story) and a group dinner.
Sunday we had to ourselves....
Fred is an old and historic settlement. It is also beautiful.
One of the main historic elements to the town is its role in the Civil War, with 4 battles being fought in the area. Sadly for the town, being located half way between the Federal capital (Washington) and the Confederate capital (Richmond) and on the Rappahannock River made it strategically important.
The people are hugely friendly, and after a few days in northern cities, it really did feel like the South.
The site of the main battle is located just outside town, and has a visitor centre - a tip will follow.
The town's history is everywhere in the downtown area, whether it is the slave auction block, an ancient building or a remnant form the war years.
- Pros:friendly, beautiful, laid back
- In a nutshell:totally charming
I went in here a couple of times. It’s well staffed with helpful people and is centrally located (with a car park). A... more travel advice
This looks like the cool place to hangout with your Macbook and a latte...especially for student types. A very relaxed... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Fredericksburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northernmost Truly Southern City"
- "fredericksburg virginia"
- "FREDERICKSBURG VIRGINIA"
- "Civilised & Revolutionary"
- "Fredericksburg, VA"
- "FREDERICKSBURG VT MEET - BLAZE NEW TRAILS"
- "FREDERICKSBURG - HISTORY ON THE RAPPAHANOCK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fredericksburg
- Hotels in Fredericksburg
- Transportation in Fredericksburg
- Nightlife in Fredericksburg
- Restaurants in Fredericksburg
- Shopping in Fredericksburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Fredericksburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg
- 14 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Fredericksburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fredericksburg
Photos in FredericksburgSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 95 reviews, 79 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 51 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 43 reviews, 61 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 35 reviews, 28 photos
- Trier Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos