"unique?" East Hampton by iaint

East Hampton Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 33 photos

the saga

I lived here from July 1978 until February 1979. I visited frequently before that.

I worked in Riverhead - the end point of the LIE (Long Island Expressway) and the place where the island splits into the North Fork and the South Fork.

Most people only see the East End in the summer season, when it is swarming with city people, especially at the weekends. Autumn there was wonderful. So was winter.

For me it has bitter sweet memories - some real highs and some real low points as well.

the good bits

I loved the town itself, once the summer crowds has gone. The surrounding places too - Amagansett, Sag Harbor etc. Plus you have the woods, the potato fields and the beaches!

I played rugby there for Montauk (they play in East Hampton, not Montauk) in the New York metropolitan division 2. Friendly bunch, and we had some good times after the games! Trips to the city, and Connecticut once as well.

the rest

Of course the Hamptons have the reputation as the summer playground for the rich. All the towns have their own character, but the same theme runs through it. East Hampton sees itself as the classiest, and most "establishment".

I'll need to find some photos (in the attic, maybe!) Try these websites -

www.easthampton.com
www.easthamptonvillage.org
www.easthamptonstar.com

• Pros:autumn, winter, landscape, seascape
  • Cons:summer visitors, summer heatwaves
  • In a nutshell:high class, in many ways
  • Last visit to East Hampton: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Oct 18, 2010

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM

see you were out in my neck of the woods. we visit often living on long island, all the villages. next time you might try sag harbor north of easth on 114, our favorite. and yes, so much better out of season. n.

iaint Used To Live Here!

iaint

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ”

Badges & Stats in East Hampton

Have you been to East Hampton?

Latest Activity in East Hampton