"unique?" East Hampton by iaint
East Hampton Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 33 photos
I lived here from July 1978 until February 1979. I visited frequently before that.
I worked in Riverhead - the end point of the LIE (Long Island Expressway) and the place where the island splits into the North Fork and the South Fork.
Most people only see the East End in the summer season, when it is swarming with city people, especially at the weekends. Autumn there was wonderful. So was winter.
For me it has bitter sweet memories - some real highs and some real low points as well.
I loved the town itself, once the summer crowds has gone. The surrounding places too - Amagansett, Sag Harbor etc. Plus you have the woods, the potato fields and the beaches!
I played rugby there for Montauk (they play in East Hampton, not Montauk) in the New York metropolitan division 2. Friendly bunch, and we had some good times after the games! Trips to the city, and Connecticut once as well.
Of course the Hamptons have the reputation as the summer playground for the rich. All the towns have their own character, but the same theme runs through it. East Hampton sees itself as the classiest, and most "establishment".
I'll need to find some photos (in the attic, maybe!) Try these websites -
- Pros:autumn, winter, landscape, seascape
- Cons:summer visitors, summer heatwaves
- In a nutshell:high class, in many ways
This is another of “the Hamptons”. You have Westhampton, Bridgehampton and Hampton Bays as well. Each has its own... more travel advice
This is The End. That’s how it’s known locally. The road goes no further. It’s name comes from the Montaukett... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
East Hampton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Few Years of My Life"
- "My first, but not Last..."
- "Great Autumn Esacpe"
- "East Hamptons"
- "Plagued by Cars"
- See All...
- Things to Do in East Hampton
- Hotels in East Hampton
- Transportation in East Hampton
- Nightlife in East Hampton
- Restaurants in East Hampton
- Shopping in East Hampton
- Warnings and Dangers in East Hampton
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in East Hampton
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to East Hampton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in East Hampton
Photos in East HamptonSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 89 reviews, 57 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 55 reviews, 91 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 39 reviews, 46 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Trier Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Munich Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 25 reviews, 32 photos