"about time..." Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen by iaint

Aberdeen Travel Guide: 490 reviews and 903 photos

in the beginning...

I used to visit regularly as a child, because my mum is Aberdonian born and bred. My grandparents lived there until they moved upstairs. I had an uncle & aunt and cousins who lived there most of their lives, and another uncle who was there for several years.

Visiting the grandparents was a regular Easter holiday trip. It was an experience we always enjoyed for its own sake, and there always seemed to be plenty to do in the city. They lived across the street from the university, which is the link (real and literal) to chapter 2 (see below).

after that...

I chose to go to Aberdeen University when high school had enough of me. Several reasons for that - wanted to get away from home, it had a course that appealed to me, and I got an acceptance! I think my familiarity with the city was also a factor.

I lived there for 7 years altogether, and whilst it had its ups and downs in many ways, I never stopped liking the city and people.

now...

An occasional visitor, for work and for my son's ice hockey games. Always enjoy it. Get to see old friends etc.

• Pros:people, architecture, North Sea
  • Cons:weather (colder than a penguin's chuff)
  • In a nutshell:why did I leave?
  • Last visit to Aberdeen: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2012

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Good tips

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Hi Iain, I really enjoyed reading your page, Aberdeen is high on my list of places to visit! Like Dee, I am curious about the pink castle. It looks as if somebody dropped a bunch of strawberry ice-cream there!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I have friends in Aberdeen, so it was nice to read your page and to see the good photo's. I know what you mean about accent, and as for beaches, I think I will stick to ours! I wish the Pink Craigievar was a different colour, it looks so out of place. Wonder how come it was painted pink, do you know?

iaint Used To Live Here!

iaint

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ”

Badges & Stats in Aberdeen

Have you been to Aberdeen?

Latest Activity in Aberdeen