"Wow!" Ascot by iaint

Ascot Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 45 photos

The trip

We had only one reason for visiting Ascot - the Royal Ascot horse race meeting in June 2008. We didn't see anything of the town itself, but I suspect there is no other reason to go.

I'm not a fanatical horse racing person, and I never bet unless I'm at a meeting, but I love lots of things about it. Being outdoors all afternoon, the animals, the fun of trying to pick a winner, having "action" all afternoon (say 6 races in 3 hours), the thrill of a close finish, and the (occasional) buzz of "my" horse winning!

The verdict

Have a look at my "sports" tips etc for more details of the racing itself. In a sense it was the trip of a lifetime - 70,000 people (including the Queen), picking 2 winners, the sense of occasion... I never intended it to be more than a "one off" to experience a big race meeting at a big venue.

However, sitting here writing this and thinking back, next year seems quite tempting!

also...

We stayed in Woking and went for a few hours of sightseeing in Windsor so I've added those tips to this Ascot page rather than doing individual home pages for them.

Reminds me of my question about what qualifies you to write a home page about a place. We only had 3 hours in Windsor, one of which was taken up by lunch. Can I do a home page on that basis?

If so, I'd be able to do one for Karachi by dint of having spent 3 hours at the airport... Hmmm...

• Pros:unique occasion
  • Cons:traffic
  • In a nutshell:once in a lifetime (or every year)?
  • Last visit to Ascot: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 23, 2008

iaint

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ”

Badges & Stats in Ascot