"Wow!" Ascot by iaint
Ascot Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 45 photos
We had only one reason for visiting Ascot - the Royal Ascot horse race meeting in June 2008. We didn't see anything of the town itself, but I suspect there is no other reason to go.
I'm not a fanatical horse racing person, and I never bet unless I'm at a meeting, but I love lots of things about it. Being outdoors all afternoon, the animals, the fun of trying to pick a winner, having "action" all afternoon (say 6 races in 3 hours), the thrill of a close finish, and the (occasional) buzz of "my" horse winning!
Have a look at my "sports" tips etc for more details of the racing itself. In a sense it was the trip of a lifetime - 70,000 people (including the Queen), picking 2 winners, the sense of occasion... I never intended it to be more than a "one off" to experience a big race meeting at a big venue.
However, sitting here writing this and thinking back, next year seems quite tempting!
We stayed in Woking and went for a few hours of sightseeing in Windsor so I've added those tips to this Ascot page rather than doing individual home pages for them.
Reminds me of my question about what qualifies you to write a home page about a place. We only had 3 hours in Windsor, one of which was taken up by lunch. Can I do a home page on that basis?
If so, I'd be able to do one for Karachi by dint of having spent 3 hours at the airport... Hmmm...
- Pros:unique occasion
- In a nutshell:once in a lifetime (or every year)?
Its a delightful town to wander round on a sunny Sunday in June. Lots of touroids, mind you, but it was not... more travel advice
At the start of each day's racing (2pm prompt) during the Royal Ascot meeting, the Queen and her guests parade along the... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Ascot Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ROYAL ASCOT - A DAY AT THE RACES"
- "jrgentle's new United Kingdom Page"
- "Royal Ascot & Ladies' Day"
- "A Day at The Races !!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ascot
- Hotels in Ascot
- Transportation in Ascot
- Nightlife in Ascot
- Restaurants in Ascot
- Shopping in Ascot
- Warnings and Dangers in Ascot
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ascot
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Ascot?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ascot
Photos in AscotSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 94 reviews, 106 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 54 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 47 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos
- Prague Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 56 photos
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 22 reviews, 58 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos