"Local colour" Falkland by iaint
Falkland Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 26 photos
The village is in central Fife, about 10 miles north of Kirkcaldy. It’s north of the Lomond Hills, so into the agricultural part of the region and past the industrial areas.
Rolling hills and lush farmland.
Technically it’s a town and former Royal Burgh, but with a population of just under 1,200 it is really a village.
It is very historic, and the reason for its existence is Falkland Palace. I’ve written a tip on that, but it's on my Kirkcaldy page until I figure out how to transfer it.
Getting there is easy if you have a car. It is just a couple of miles northwest of Glenrothes, off the A92. The nearest railway station will be Ladybank, on the Edinburgh to Dundee/Aberdeen line. By bus - best to Google Stagecoach Fife and/or phone them.
I went for breakfast there today. Check out my shopping tip.
Got this photo of the Bruce Fountain, which is right in the middle of the main street. Looks like it should be a market cross, but it isn't.
East Lomond hill is there in the background - check out my sports tip.
... it's scenic, friendly & quiet. Places to eat and have coffee. Places to shop. Places to hike.
And only 12 miles from my house.
- In a nutshell:love it
The palace is the main attraction in the village. It’s a Renaissance building set in the heart of the Fife, and built... more travel advice
It's a farm shop. An organic one. I've been there twice recently, buying green salads, carrots, beetroot, lamb & beef.... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Falkland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Royal Burgh of Falkland"
- "Local colour"
- "Falkland Palace"
- "No, not the Falkland Islands..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Falkland
- Hotels in Falkland
- Restaurants in Falkland
- Shopping in Falkland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Falkland
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Falkland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Falkland
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 96 reviews, 92 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 53 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 47 reviews, 72 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 56 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 22 reviews, 58 photos
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toulouse Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos