"the big city" Kirkwall by iaint
Kirkwall Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 24 photos
Kirkwall is the largest town on the islands - so the centre of attention.
The main feature is the historic cathedral - tip to follow.
It has a busy little pedestrianised main street - so narrow that banning cars was probably the only option.
The harbour is also a busy spot, with ferries to the mainland, Shetland and some of the north islands of Orkney. Then there's fishing and the marina.
My Orkney tips are spread over the Stromness, Burray, S Ronaldsay & Lamb Holm pages - check them out if you're thinking of a trip.
- Pros:the best of the shopping
- Cons:bigger & not so charming as Stromness
- In a nutshell:go check it out
The construction of the cathedral began in 1137 - initiated by Earl Rognvald. The Islands were Norse at that time. It... more travel advice
Just took a chance and dived in here one night... No regrets... Ordered a burger on the strength of the menu's promise... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Kirkwall Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the big city"
- "Two Oldtimer in Kirkwall"
- "City of Kirkwall"
- "The capital of Orkney"
- "A Month in Orkney"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kirkwall
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Kirkwall?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kirkwall
Photos in KirkwallSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 89 reviews, 57 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 55 reviews, 91 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 39 reviews, 46 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Trier Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Munich Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 25 reviews, 32 photos