"stunning" Stromness by iaint
Stromness Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 43 photos
Well, in July '10 I finally made it to Orkney.
In my defence, it is a 5.5 hour drive from home, followed by a 1 hour ferry trip. The plane would be a bit quicker, if it's non-stop.
Stromness is to the southwest of the mainland, and is the 2nd largest town on the islands. My B&B was close by - see tip to follow - so this is my "main" Orkney page.
On a calm, sunny, July evening it really is lovely. Maybe I'll come back in December...
A narrow, single carriageway (with passing places) main street. Lots of old buildings. An active harbour. Stunning views.
My Orkney tips are spread over my Kirkwall, Burray, Lamb Holm & South Ronaldsay pages, so look there as well if you're thinking of a trip.
- more Orkney flags (must get a photo) than Scottish (no British at all)
- amazing weather & cloud formations
- more prosperous & fertile than Caithness across on the mainland
- stunning views around each corner
- a Norwegian Consulate in Kirkwall
- Pros:a bit off the beaten track
- Cons:worth the effort
- In a nutshell:Go see!
Go to the north coast of the West Mainland to see this site. Brochs are unique to Scotland, and this is one of the best... more travel advice
I'd been past this place a couple of times in the evening, and vowed to return during opening hours... So glad I did.... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Stromness Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stromness - Orkney's Second Town But The Prettiest"
- "Stromness - mainland Orkneys"
- "Nice and quiet by the seaside"
- "First stop in the islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stromness
- Hotels in Stromness
- Transportation in Stromness
- Restaurants in Stromness
- Warnings and Dangers in Stromness
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stromness
- 9 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Stromness?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stromness
Photos in StromnessSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 89 reviews, 57 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 55 reviews, 91 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 39 reviews, 46 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Munich Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos
- Trier Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 25 reviews, 32 photos