"sociology & anthropology..." York by iaint
York Travel Guide: 1,636 reviews and 4,005 photos
York must be one of the biggest tourist attractions in England, outside London. On a July Saturday, they were all there - numbers swollen by those in town for the big horse racing meeting that day.
The place has a reputation for being congested at the best of times, but it really was bursting at the seams (especially the pubs, all of which were full of racegoers).
I managed an hour walking around the get the feel of the place, and decided serious sightseeing would have to wait for a quieter time. Frustrating, because my only previous visit had been for a conference, and I only got outside the hotel to go to/from the railway station.
Half my day had been set aside for being a touroid, with the rest dedicated to the sport of kings...so I followed the drunken hordes out to the racecourse.
Looks like the kind of place you can have a lot of fun just exploring up side streets, "off the beaten path".
Having been at a big race meeting in France (Chantilly) just 6 days before, the contrasts were fascinating (this is where it gets all "sociological").
In England, many of the racegoers were mainly interested in getting as much alcohol down their necks as possible. Some never got out of the bar to see a race. By the end, many could hardly walk. In France, alcohol hardly features at all.
At York most of the spectators were "dressed up" as if going to a wedding. Women in high heels and party dresses (many bulging in all the wrong places). Men in suits (often looking as if borrowed from a neighbour). Indeed, the security guy insisted I put my jacket on (instead of carrying it) before letting me into my enclosure. I even saw a kiosk where you can rent a jacket & tie! By mid afternoon, many women had ditched their heels and were walking in bare feet. At Chantilly the French managed to look smart and cool without trying, and people could wear what they wanted (it was 27c, so many were in shorts).
I would certainly go back. However, for both sightseeing and racing I would choose a quieter time!
- Cons:swarming with tourists; terrible traffic
- In a nutshell:if I go back, it'll be off season
York is one of England's premier flat racing courses. It has a long history which the website will tell you about.... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
York Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "York - potential capital of the north"
- "The Old Capital of the North"
- "York - a standout amongst the pretenders"
- "History and shopping."
- "YORK - 2000 YEARS OF HISTORY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in York
- Hotels in York
- Transportation in York
- Nightlife in York
- Restaurants in York
- Shopping in York
- Warnings and Dangers in York
- See All...
Badges & Stats in York
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to York?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in York
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 94 reviews, 77 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 51 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 43 reviews, 61 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 35 reviews, 28 photos
- Trier Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos