"Cradle of Irish civilisation" Laytown by iaint

Laytown Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 10 photos

Why Laytown?

The attraction was the horse racing. Everything flowed from that!

All you'll ever need to know about the horse racing is in my sports travel tip, so I won't flog it to death here...

what else?

First up, instead of going to the racing on my own I posted it as a VT meet. At the last minute, Stephanie signed up. She was in Dublin with husband Gerry following the Halifax VT meet.

I picked them up at Dublin Airport (they took the bus out to meet me, so we didn't spend half the day in Dublin traffic) and off we went in Mr Avis' little Ford Zetec.

the big day out

We met at 10. Horse racing started at 3, and was only a 30 minute drive from the airport.

Accordingly, we'd decided to do something touristy before lunch. We headed for Newgrange, near Drogheda. All the information about that is on my "things to do" tip, but suffice to say its a Neolithic (ie 5000 years old) burial site.

After that, quick lunch and off to the races. After the races, back into the little Zetec and back to Dublin airport.

It was a great day out, and they were super company (although I almost got a bit ratty with Gerry for winning so much money at the races). It was all a testament to the power and success of VT!

• Pros:real Ireland
  • Cons:real Irish weather
  • In a nutshell:back next year?
  • Last visit to Laytown: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 12, 2008

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Not like the beaches at Ardtoe,eh? Have still to get to Ireland although the cost of living seems outrageously expensive.

iaint

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ”

Badges & Stats in Laytown

Have you been to Laytown?

Latest Activity in Laytown