"Cradle of Irish civilisation" Laytown by iaint
Laytown Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 10 photos
The attraction was the horse racing. Everything flowed from that!
All you'll ever need to know about the horse racing is in my sports travel tip, so I won't flog it to death here...
First up, instead of going to the racing on my own I posted it as a VT meet. At the last minute, Stephanie signed up. She was in Dublin with husband Gerry following the Halifax VT meet.
I picked them up at Dublin Airport (they took the bus out to meet me, so we didn't spend half the day in Dublin traffic) and off we went in Mr Avis' little Ford Zetec.
We met at 10. Horse racing started at 3, and was only a 30 minute drive from the airport.
Accordingly, we'd decided to do something touristy before lunch. We headed for Newgrange, near Drogheda. All the information about that is on my "things to do" tip, but suffice to say its a Neolithic (ie 5000 years old) burial site.
After that, quick lunch and off to the races. After the races, back into the little Zetec and back to Dublin airport.
It was a great day out, and they were super company (although I almost got a bit ratty with Gerry for winning so much money at the races). It was all a testament to the power and success of VT!
- Pros:real Ireland
- Cons:real Irish weather
- In a nutshell:back next year?
Fun, fun, fun... Laytown Strand Races are unique. Its the only horse race meeting in Europe which takes place under... more travel advice
You can pick up a free shuttle bus opposite the railway station (which is also where the official car parks are... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Laytown Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Laytown
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Laytown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laytown
Photos in LaytownSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 89 reviews, 57 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 55 reviews, 91 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 39 reviews, 46 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Trier Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Munich Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 25 reviews, 32 photos