Stockholm Things to Do Tips by iaint
Stockholm Things to Do: 1,609 reviews and 2,911 photos
One of the myriad boat trips on offer takes you around the maritime part of the city "under the bridges".
I don't remember the exact route, but we certainly went as far west as Lilla Essingen, and then back to the south of Södermalm.
Our trip left from Nybrohamnen and ended at Strömkajen. Took 2 hours, cost 190SEK each.
It passed really fast, and was the perfect thing for an afternoon when the weather was unpredictable. Like most boat trips, it gives you a completely new perspective on the city.
They have a headphone commentary, which no doubt tells you how many bricks or metric tons of concrete went into each bridge. We skipped that and gossiped.
Directions: City centre, on the water.
The website has a map.
Gamla Stan is one of my (many) fave parts of the city.
The two main streets are often crowded with tourists (and the merchants who pander to them), but, as you'll see from the photos, you can escape the hordes very easily. Photo #2 is not a fake, taken at 5am. It was 10.30am and almost opposite the palace.
It is a fab place to just stroll gently, relax and chill. On my last visit (June '10) I spent 30 minutes just sitting doing nothing on the little square in photo #1. Not even much people to watch.
Apart from the old, narrow streets and quaint houses, you have the Royal Palace at the north end. Another tip, that one.
Address: Gamla Stan
Directions: A little bit SE of the central railway station
a typical steamer
This is great fun, and relaxing. Take a boat from the city center out to the archipelago - an island like Vaxholm.
They are old, restored steamers and a real treat. You can usually get a beer and sandwich on board.
Takes an hour to 75 minutes each way.
Spend some time on an island, then get the boat back. You have a good choice of restaurants & cafes by the harbour, and you can visit the castle (another very short - 200m - boat trip across the bay).
It all gives you a real sense of how the city is a maritime place.
75 SEK each way in June 2010. You can eat on board - a sit down meal or sandwich & a beer.
You can also take "tourist" excursions - lunch or dinner cruises.
Bring something warm to wear even in good summer weather. It can be chilly, and the weather can change.
Address: see below
Directions: Jetties a little bit east from Gamla Stan (and round the corner) for Waxholmsbolaget.
Phone: 08 614 64 50
My son loved this. He would have been 10 or 11 at the time. Looked at everything, read everything and didn't want to leave.
Its a museum housing a ship which sank in the harbour in 1628, about 1km into its maiden voyage. Discovered, recovered and preserved.
Definitely worth a visit.
Can't figure out why we don't have any photos, but try the website.
Directions: Its on Djurgärden, just across from the city centre
lots to see
It was mid week in October, cool and damp. However, my 10 year old had a ball. I was happy enough too.
We had a great wee lunch in a quaint little place across the road.
Directions: On Djurgarden
More Reviews (15)
iaint's Related Pages
Stockholm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Stockholm"
- "My own water baby"
- "Stockholm in 5 days"
- "STOCKHOLM - THE CITY OF BRIDGES!"
- "Stockholm - beauty on water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockholm
- Hotels in Stockholm
- Transportation in Stockholm
- Nightlife in Stockholm
- Restaurants in Stockholm
- Shopping in Stockholm
- Warnings and Dangers in Stockholm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stockholm
- 20 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Stockholm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockholm
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 95 reviews, 81 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 51 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 44 reviews, 64 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 35 reviews, 28 photos
- Trier Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (3)
- Gamla Stan - The Old Town- 175 Reviews, 304 Photos
- Vasa Museum- 124 Reviews, 180 Photos
- Kungliga Slottet - Royal Palace- 102 Reviews, 177 Photos
- Stadshuset - City Hall- 106 Reviews, 188 Photos
- Skansen- 103 Reviews, 222 Photos
- Sightseeing Boat Tours- 27 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Södermalm- 25 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Gröna Lund- 28 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Riddarholmen- 34 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Drottningholm- 37 Reviews, 100 Photos
See All Stockholm Things to Do