"Kilimanjaro" Top 5 Page for this destination Arusha by iaint
Arusha Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 175 photos
This trip has 3 purposes ("fun" being the underlying theme, naturally).
First is to climb Mt Kilimanjaro. It is just a bit east of here.
Second is to visit 3 charitable projects which my Rotary club has been supporting. They are all in the Arusha/Moshi area.
Last but definitely not least, safari! Ngorongoro and Serengeti are just to the west.
More on all this later!
Leaving aside the tourism stuff - a dominant local feature - it's only 100 km from the border with Kenya (so in the northeast of the country) and has a population of 270,000 (as of 2002).
It is the 2nd largest city in Tanzania, and is in the lee of Mt Meru, so lush and green as a result of the water flowing down off the hill (it's raining up there as I write this - a thunderstorm, in fact). It is also a fertile area, the soil being volcanic. It's 1,500m up (say 4,800 ft).
Mt Meru seems to be shrouded in cloud much of the time, but I got a few shots early in the morning (7-8am) where it's entirely clear. 4,565m high - about 14,600 ft - it's the 5th highest mountain in Africa.
.... I've put safari stuff on this page, and Kilimanjaro material on my Moshi page.
Have a look at both if planning a trip.
I didn't go into the city at all. Several reasons for that. First, I was too busy. Second, my guide book gave me no reason to feel the need. Last, security and not wanting to be hassled non-stop.
- Cons:security worries
- In a nutshell:mixed thoughts on the place
It’s famous. Famous for its herds of wildebeest and zebra. Famous for their mass migrations. Famous for the predators... more travel advice
It’s a conservation area (as opposed to a national park) because the Masai tribe are allowed to live and farm within it.... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Arusha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Preparing for the long-awaited safaris!!!"
- "A fantastic experience in Tanzania"
- "Stopover before the photographic safari"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arusha
- Hotels in Arusha
- Transportation in Arusha
- Restaurants in Arusha
- Shopping in Arusha
- Warnings and Dangers in Arusha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arusha
- 12 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Arusha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arusha
Photos in ArushaSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 94 reviews, 106 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 54 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 47 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos
- Prague Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 56 photos
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 22 reviews, 58 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos