"Imperial City" Top 5 Page for this destination Meknes by iaint

Meknes Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 256 photos

well, here I am...

...after a 7 hour train journey from Marrakesh. Comfortable enough in ONCF's 1st class, but 40 minutes late.

I was starting to get the screaming heeby jeebies after 5 hours. It was dark by then. Battery flat on the laptop, nothing to look at. Just my book to read.

It was 9pm by the time i got to the hotel - just time for dinner and a couple of beers - then heavy duty sightseeing in the morning.

then...

...refreshed by a decent night's sleep and Ibis breakfast I set to work on the medina etc.

Well, seemed to knock that on the head by 2pm! I could have lost myself in the souks, but I'm not a shopper and they all look the same. Plus I was tired by then. Highlight was definitely the mausoleum of Moulay Ismail - stunning!

I had a great chicken tajine in a tourist trap on the main square - even had a large lump of chicken breast in it. Maybe I landed on my feet there.

and on Sunday...

...had a magical trip out to Volubilis & Moulay Idriss Zerhoun in the morning. Great fun. Way to see the surrounding country, as well as a glimpse into small toen life.

• Pros:good sights to see
  • Cons:aggressive kids begging
  • In a nutshell:glad I came
  • Last visit to Meknes: Dec 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 28, 2009

Comments

iaint

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ”

Badges & Stats in Meknes