"Imperial City" Top 5 Page for this destination Meknes by iaint
Meknes Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 253 photos
...after a 7 hour train journey from Marrakesh. Comfortable enough in ONCF's 1st class, but 40 minutes late.
I was starting to get the screaming heeby jeebies after 5 hours. It was dark by then. Battery flat on the laptop, nothing to look at. Just my book to read.
It was 9pm by the time i got to the hotel - just time for dinner and a couple of beers - then heavy duty sightseeing in the morning.
...refreshed by a decent night's sleep and Ibis breakfast I set to work on the medina etc.
Well, seemed to knock that on the head by 2pm! I could have lost myself in the souks, but I'm not a shopper and they all look the same. Plus I was tired by then. Highlight was definitely the mausoleum of Moulay Ismail - stunning!
I had a great chicken tajine in a tourist trap on the main square - even had a large lump of chicken breast in it. Maybe I landed on my feet there.
...had a magical trip out to Volubilis & Moulay Idriss Zerhoun in the morning. Great fun. Way to see the surrounding country, as well as a glimpse into small toen life.
- Pros:good sights to see
- Cons:aggressive kids begging
- In a nutshell:glad I came
This is perhaps the centrepiece of the medina, and the guide book reckons it used to be like the Djemaa el-Fna in... more travel advice
This is a small affair, but like my motto on VT explains...les petites sont souvent les meilleures. 20 MAD to get in... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Meknes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "M E K N E S"
- "Imperial City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Meknes
- Hotels in Meknes
- Transportation in Meknes
- Restaurants in Meknes
- Shopping in Meknes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meknes
- 8 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Meknes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meknes
Photos in MeknesSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 96 reviews, 92 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 53 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 47 reviews, 72 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 56 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 22 reviews, 58 photos
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toulouse Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos