"Bishoftu, not Debre Zeyit!" Debre Zeyit by iaint
Debre Zeyit Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 28 photos
Another case of fortune rewarding the brave. I decided that after 3 days in the city, it was time to raise my horizon. I organised a trip to Bishoftu, about 50km southeast on the Djibouti road.
Bishoftu is the town’s name in Oromo - the local language (Amharic is the country’s official language). The town used to be known as Debre Zeyit - the “Christian” name given to it by Haile Selassie. It was changed to Bishoftu in the 1990s. You’ll still see the old name on some maps (including the ones VT uses!).
Just to add some spice to the mix, there's another place in Ethiopia called Bishoftu, and that's where VT takes you if you search for it.
Bishoftu is known for it’s collection of crater lakes. I saw 3, but could have visited another 3(at least) had I wanted to push the boat out. (Sorry about that - couldn’t resist it.)
Lake Hora was the best for birdlife. Mid morning is not ideal, but I saw several species in a short space of time. No idea what they all were, but even I could identify the pelicans - lots of them. Strangely enough we heard a hyena howling on the far shore. My guide picked that up. I thought it was the birds!
Lake Boshoftu Guda was the most scenic - with Mt Yerer rising to 9,900 ft in the background. It doesn’t look that big because the surrounding countryside is already at 6,000 ft.
Best for lunch was Lake Bishoftu. A wonderful lakeside restaurant for injera with tibs and lab.
Part of the day’s fun was seeing the countryside on the way, and a small provincial place as compared with the capital.
The big eye opener for me was the traffic. Totally crazy. And that’s before you factor in the donkeys and the horse & carts. The main objective of the Ethiopian highway code must be population control.
Very glad I went, and very, very glad I wasn’t driving.
- Pros:scenery, birdlife, lunch
- In a nutshell:worth it for a day out
My main purpose in visiting the town. I've written a bit on my intro page, so I won't repeat it here. I will put in... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Debre Zeyit Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Debre Zeyit
- Hotels in Debre Zeyit
- Transportation in Debre Zeyit
- Restaurants in Debre Zeyit
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Debre Zeyit
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Debre Zeyit?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Debre Zeyit
Photos in Debre ZeyitSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 94 reviews, 106 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 54 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 47 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos
- Prague Intro, 24 reviews, 60 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 56 photos
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 22 reviews, 58 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos