"How many reasons do you need?" Top 5 Page for this destination Deauville-les-Bains by iaint

Deauville-les-Bains Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 70 photos

So why DID I go?

1 - just needed somewhere to go for a few days during Junior's October 08 midterm holidays.
2 - French is one of his top subjects, so why not go to France?
3 - neither of us had been to Normandy (I've been to most other corners of the country before).
4 - seaside appealed, if the weather was OK.
5 - horse racing at Deauville (one of the race courses I've wanted to see).
6 - cider (say no more).
7 - Calvados (say no more).
8 - food (wow).

I'll stop there, but I could go on!

and?

It was great - we only stayed 1 night, but loved our 2 days.

The weather was very kind.

The horse racing was wonderful.

The food was superb.

I was driving most of the time, so the cider and Calvados were a little under appreciated, but hell, I can go back again on the train.

All 4 of us enjoyed it, and that includes Rocky le Labrador who has never seen so much beach.

the place

It is really 2 adjacent towns - Trouville-sur-Mer to the east of the estuary of La Touques river and Deauville to the west. However, in reality they have merged. Both are part of the Côte Fleurie and the Pays D'Auge in Normandie.

Trouville is the elder, and was a fishing village before developing as a seaside resort in the mid 19th century. Deauville was developed in the 1860s by the Duc de Morny.

Deauville is known for its casino and Les Planches - the boardwalk - as well as being a spa. Equestrian sports are also a core activity & attraction, particularly horse racing. The town has 2 courses!

Its annual American film festival brings the big Hollywood names to town, and puts it in the public eye.

• Pros:Sea, sand, food & drink, countryside
  • Cons:None so far
  • In a nutshell:Haste ye back.
  • Last visit to Deauville-les-Bains: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Good tips here, especially about the semi-trailers.

• UrbanSpaceman's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 5:47 AM

An excellent page Iain and written with style ! I've only spent a day in Deauville but loved it, and want to return for a longer stay and especially to go to the racecourse (racing is one of my passions !). This page has been very helpful. Many thanks !

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Great descriptions. Much appreciated.

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Really didn't like Deauville. Reminded me of Estoril. The type of place where the rich go and riff raff like me are persona non grata.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2008 at 3:36 AM

Oh, you've set my mouth watering with those meals and all that cider.......

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Nice page. Hope to see more of France in the future. Cheers, SL :)

iaint

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ”

Badges & Stats in Deauville-les-Bains

Have you been to Deauville-les-Bains?

Latest Activity in Deauville-les-Bains