"How many reasons do you need?" Top 5 Page for this destination Deauville-les-Bains by iaint
Deauville-les-Bains Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 85 photos
1 - just needed somewhere to go for a few days during Junior's October 08 midterm holidays.
2 - French is one of his top subjects, so why not go to France?
3 - neither of us had been to Normandy (I've been to most other corners of the country before).
4 - seaside appealed, if the weather was OK.
5 - horse racing at Deauville (one of the race courses I've wanted to see).
6 - cider (say no more).
7 - Calvados (say no more).
8 - food (wow).
I'll stop there, but I could go on!
It was great - we only stayed 1 night, but loved our 2 days.
The weather was very kind.
The horse racing was wonderful.
The food was superb.
I was driving most of the time, so the cider and Calvados were a little under appreciated, but hell, I can go back again on the train.
All 4 of us enjoyed it, and that includes Rocky le Labrador who has never seen so much beach.
It is really 2 adjacent towns - Trouville-sur-Mer to the east of the estuary of La Touques river and Deauville to the west. However, in reality they have merged. Both are part of the Côte Fleurie and the Pays D'Auge in Normandie.
Trouville is the elder, and was a fishing village before developing as a seaside resort in the mid 19th century. Deauville was developed in the 1860s by the Duc de Morny.
Deauville is known for its casino and Les Planches - the boardwalk - as well as being a spa. Equestrian sports are also a core activity & attraction, particularly horse racing. The town has 2 courses!
Its annual American film festival brings the big Hollywood names to town, and puts it in the public eye.
- Pros:Sea, sand, food & drink, countryside
- Cons:None so far
- In a nutshell:Haste ye back.
Rented a car to travel to/from the town. We were 3, we had bags and a rowdy Labrador, so the train would have been a... more travel advice
Cider and Calvados production is a big feature of the Auge area, where Deauville is situated. The Père Magloire visitor... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Deauville-les-Bains Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "How many reasons do you need?"
- "Deauville-Trouville, a twincity"
- "Horses for Courses (not starters though)"
- "Deauville /Trouville/ Honfleur good package deal:)"
- "Past Glory Revival"
- "Deauville in Calvados France."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Deauville-les-Bains
- Hotels in Deauville-les-Bains
- Transportation in Deauville-les-Bains
- Restaurants in Deauville-les-Bains
- Warnings and Dangers in Deauville-les-Bains
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Deauville-les-Bains
- 9 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Deauville-les-Bains?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deauville-les-Bains
Photos in Deauville-les-BainsSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 96 reviews, 92 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 53 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 47 reviews, 72 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 56 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 22 reviews, 58 photos
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toulouse Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos