"off the beaten track!" Ortahisar by iaint
Ortahisar Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 25 photos
It was our base for visiting the Kapadokya area. Most people end up in the main centres like Ürgüp. Our agents sent us to a hotel in Ortahisar, so it was our base.
It was fun, because it is not touristy at all. Just a dry central Anatolian town of about 3,000 souls.
Almost all the women wear typical local dress (headscarf etc).
We were fully occupied every day, and going to bed early to cope with early morning starts. That meant the quietness of the town was not a problem for us, but in other cirumstances one of the more developed towns would have been better.
Traditionally houses were excavated from the soft rock - cave houses. Some are still a combination of built and excavated, like the one in the photo.
Some cave houses are still occupied.
Most of the town now seems to be in modern style homes.
Its famous for being a place where fruit is kept in "cold" storage in caves. Apparently, not only does this preserve it, but it also enhances the flavour. Things like lemons and oranges are brought in from the Mediterranean coast for this pupose, plus locally grown produce is given the "treatment"
- Pros:good for seeing local life
- Cons:not much do do if you're not on a tour
- In a nutshell:interesting, relaxing
If you are going ballooning, take a light sweater - it can be cool at dawn even in July. In fact, there was a cool... more travel advice
Biggest concentration of rock excavated chapels, from 9th century onwards. Over 30 cut from the soft volcanic rock.... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Ortahisar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "off the beaten track!"
- "Ortahisar . . . just a quick lunch here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ortahisar
- Hotels in Ortahisar
- Transportation in Ortahisar
- Restaurants in Ortahisar
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ortahisar
- 10 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Ortahisar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ortahisar
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 89 reviews, 57 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 55 reviews, 91 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 39 reviews, 46 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Trier Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Munich Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 25 reviews, 32 photos