"now 5, and counting..." Belfast by iaint
Belfast Travel Guide: 1,088 reviews and 2,431 photos
I've been 5 times now.
Only stayed overnight first time. I was asked to speak at a seminar at the Kings Halls, and couldn't think of any reason not to...
This was well before the Good Friday agreement in 1998 (probably 1995), but I assume it must have been a relatively peaceful time, or I would have found an excuse not to go.
Definitely glad I went. By then the troubles had been in the news almost constantly for 25 years. It was fascinating to see what the place was really like.
As you drive through the middle class suburbs (where my hotel was and where the seminar was held), you could be in Manchester or Birmingham.
The inner city was a different story. I took the wrong exit off the motorway on the way into the city centre after the seminar, and the surroundings looked a bit scary.
Went back twice in 2008. First was just an overnight trip, this time because my son was playing ice hockey there.
Fascinating to see the changes over 13 years.
I had yet another "overnighter" a month later, but I just stayed the night en route to Dublin.
I was back to see more of the city in 09, and to see some of the other places - Giant's Causeway - stuff like that.
In 2013 it was another ice hockey trip.
- Pros:the present
- Cons:the recent past
- In a nutshell:go see!
The Lagan is the river which meets the sea in the middle of the city. The part which is right in the city centre... more travel advice
Or Belfast City Airport. For those who don’t know the name, George was the best football (soccer) player to emerge from... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Belfast Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belfast Northern Ireland"
- "A trip down memory lane"
- "Beal Feirste"
- "Quick Trip To belfast"
- "A unique city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belfast
- Hotels in Belfast
- Transportation in Belfast
- Nightlife in Belfast
- Restaurants in Belfast
- Shopping in Belfast
- Warnings and Dangers in Belfast
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belfast
- 23 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Belfast?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belfast
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 96 reviews, 92 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 53 reviews, 105 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 46 reviews, 71 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 56 photos
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toulouse Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 35 reviews, 32 photos