"now 5, and counting..." Belfast by iaint

Belfast Travel Guide: 1,069 reviews and 2,323 photos

meaning?

I've been 5 times now.

Only stayed overnight first time. I was asked to speak at a seminar at the Kings Halls, and couldn't think of any reason not to...

This was well before the Good Friday agreement in 1998 (probably 1995), but I assume it must have been a relatively peaceful time, or I would have found an excuse not to go.

verdict?

Definitely glad I went. By then the troubles had been in the news almost constantly for 25 years. It was fascinating to see what the place was really like.

As you drive through the middle class suburbs (where my hotel was and where the seminar was held), you could be in Manchester or Birmingham.

The inner city was a different story. I took the wrong exit off the motorway on the way into the city centre after the seminar, and the surroundings looked a bit scary.

2nd + 3rd + 4th + 5th trips

Went back twice in 2008. First was just an overnight trip, this time because my son was playing ice hockey there.

Fascinating to see the changes over 13 years.

I had yet another "overnighter" a month later, but I just stayed the night en route to Dublin.

I was back to see more of the city in 09, and to see some of the other places - Giant's Causeway - stuff like that.

In 2013 it was another ice hockey trip.

• Pros:the present
  • Cons:the recent past
  • In a nutshell:go see!
  • Last visit to Belfast: Jan 2013
  • Intro Updated Jan 27, 2013

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2013 at 6:09 AM

Glad you enjoyed the city I was born in. Things have certainly changed a lot since I was growing up there in the 70's. fergy

• bonio's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Thanks for the tips Iain, visiting this weekend.

iaint Visits Here Frequently!

iaint

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ”

Badges & Stats in Belfast

Have you been to Belfast?

Latest Activity in Belfast