"Dinky..." Bayreuth by iaint
Bayreuth Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 157 photos
The north of Bavaria. Franconia. Wagner country. Not to be confused with Beirut.
I had a day trip to the town in September 11. It is a lovely, sleepy little place. It feels laid back and relaxing. It helped that the weather was sunny and pleasant.
I wouldn’t normally write a page about somewhere I hadn’t spent the night in, but this was quite specifically a tourist trip. Well, 50%. We visited a relative there too - Gisela served up coffee & cake in the late morning and then an excellent dinner (hence the dearth of restaurant tips).
Visits to the opera house and palaces - tips to follow.
The hard facts... It’s in northeast Bavaria, and is a town of 75,000 souls.
Wagner lived there from 1872 onwards, and it is where he enjoyed his greatest triumphs. The town hosts a famous annual Wagner music festival. Wagner was sponsored by the eccentric Bavarian king Ludwig II.
- Cons:I'm told the local accent isn't wonderful to the ear
- In a nutshell:take a trip!
This is one of the sights we managed to take in during our brief visit. It was commissioned by Margravine Wilhelmine in... more travel advice
I just love it when I end up somewhere really nice, and then discover afterwards that it’s “highly recommended” in the... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Bayreuth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Quaint German Town"
- "The capital of moslem sleepers - by Jorg"
- "Bayreuth: a secret well kept"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bayreuth
- Hotels in Bayreuth
- Transportation in Bayreuth
- Nightlife in Bayreuth
- Restaurants in Bayreuth
- Warnings and Dangers in Bayreuth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bayreuth
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Bayreuth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bayreuth
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 94 reviews, 77 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 51 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 43 reviews, 61 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 35 reviews, 28 photos
- Trier Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos