"Cute..." Eichstätt by iaint
Eichstätt Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 19 photos
... is a quaint, sleepy little university town about 20km north of Ingolstadt, in the Altmühltal country - farms and woodland set in rolling hills with the spoil heaps from marble quarries dotted around to break up the rural idyll. Population about 15k, so no great metropolis!
The town is in the river valley, so the wooded slopes are all around. The old centre is dominated by the Dom (cathedral) and is lovely to walk around.
It’s an episcopal town, which means (I think - I’m not a church goer) that a bishop has his “seat” there. Most of it was destroyed by fire in 1634, and was rebuilt after that disaster in the baroque style.
Up on top of one side of the valley is Willibaldsburg - the residence of the prince/bishops until the 18th century. The River Altmühl flows gently through the town centre.
The town is also home to the country’s only Catholic university, and in such a small town, it creates a real academic feel on top of the strong religious character.
- Pros:small, quiet, well preserved
- In a nutshell:stop by if you're in the area
Not sure how this translates. It's a street market. Occasional, not regular. All kinds of market stalls set out in the... more travel advice
We had lunch in the biergarten - quick service and typical Bavarian biergarten menu. I had a pils (from the town’s... more travel advice
iaint's Related Pages
Eichstätt Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Eichstätt
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Eichstätt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eichstätt
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 64 photos
- Kirkcaldy Intro, 56 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt Intro, 42 reviews, 58 photos
- Paris Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Munich Intro, 19 reviews, 48 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 35 reviews, 28 photos
- Trier Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos