"sacred rocks" Meteora by paragianna75
Meteora Travel Guide: 383 reviews and 965 photos
Meteora, a place situated just at the heart of Greece, a cultural and natural heritage according Unesco, a group of strange big rocks like supernatural sculptures as you can see from the pictures.The place is known for its famous climbing routes and for the monasteries that are lied on the top of some of the rocks.
Climbing was known in Meteora from the 11th century as it was the basic way for the monks to reach their monasteries with the help of wooden and rope ladders but it is also said that even before the monasteries the hermits were climbing the rocks and they were staying inside the physical cavities so they can be isolated and through the action of climbing to prove their faith.
Today only 6 of the 24 monasteries are inhabited.
A special room where the bones and the skulls of the monks are kept for centuries. more travel advice
paragianna75's Related Pages
Meteora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Meteora & Kalambaka"
- "A Place Devoted to God"
- "...beyond Kalambaka (over Kastraki) - Meteoraki:)"
- "Heavenly breaths of nature"
- "''Suspended in the air''."
- "This is the place YOU HAVE TO SEE! "
- "Soaring Rocks..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Meteora
- Hotels in Meteora
- Transportation in Meteora
- Nightlife in Meteora
- Restaurants in Meteora
- Shopping in Meteora
- Warnings and Dangers in Meteora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meteora
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Meteora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meteora
Photos in MeteoraSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Bali Intro, 24 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Abu Dhabi Intro, 8 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eskilstuna Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevsehir Ili Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sölden Intro, 24 photos, 4 travelogues
- Meteora Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (35)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Meteora hotel reviews
- Koka Roka
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2011