"A Legendary Escape Story Surrounding the Camp" Top 5 Page for this destination Mauthausen by RawdgerDodger
Mauthausen Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 124 photos
Mauthausen is a concentration camp from World War 2 that was used to dehumanize and exterminate what Nazi's believed to be inferior races. It was also used as a labor camp for Russian prisoners of war. There is a legend about a daring escape in the dead of Winter from Mauthausen that involved hundreds of prisoners. What some of the prisoners did was to throw themselves against the electrified fence so as to short circuit the fence so that their comrades could escape. Their comrades then threw their bedding over the barbed wire fence and climbed over the brick wall. The Nazi guards shot the fleeing prisoners but there were too many to handle. Many of the prisoners escaped the Nazi gunmen shooting at them from the tower. After climbing over the wall they then ran, practically naked through the snow, and tried to survive with little or no food in the biting cold. The citizens were told not to let these prisoners of war in their houses but a few of the locals sympathized with the pitiful state of the Russian prisoners and secretly housed them. In all only a handful escaped as the others were hunted down and caught. But for the freedom of a few that was all that mattered to all. The escape showed hope for the goodness of humanity at its best. This legendary escape out of this Nazi concentration camp has remained in the town lore for over sixty years.
This is the monument erected for all the Jewish prisoners that died here.
This monument celebrates the liberation of the prisoners from the concentration camp. Legend has it that it was the American soldiers who liberated the prisoners from this camp.
- Pros:This was a great educational experience on the horrors of WW2
- Cons:It is cold in the winter time.
- In a nutshell:Every person should visit at least one concentration camp in their lifetime. Only by understanding our faults as a human race can we change for the better.
The former concentration camp located in Mauthausen is one camp of hundreds that have been turned into museums today.... more travel advice
RawdgerDodger's Related Pages
Mauthausen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MAUTHAUSEN - 186 steps to death"
- "Mauthausen Concentration Camp"
- "Chilling Hold"
- "A Legendary Escape Story Surrounding the Camp"
- "Memory - Gedächtnis - Memoria"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mauthausen
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Mauthausen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mauthausen
Photos in MauthausenSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Aguas Calientes - Machupicchu Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos
- Corfu Island Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos
- Big Bear City Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos
- Luxor Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Valle Nevado Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Jamaica Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Easter Island Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos