"Krakow: Rome in Poland." Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow by breughel

Krakow Travel Guide: 4,468 reviews and 10,527 photos

Cultural homogeneity

I was most surprised and pleased with the cultural homogeneity of the old city of Krakow.
The architectural, cultural, religious unity and an apparently social unity create a harmony that has disappeared from many cities of Western Europe.

Even if I do not understand the language it seemed to me that there reigned a good conviviality.
I also found that Krakow was still largely visited by the Poles themselves.
It is a milestone in the national history and religious life of Poland.
Krakow is somehow the Polish Rome.

I will return with my family.
That's what I did with my wife in June 2011. We were glad to see that the renovation works at the Sukenniece - Cloth Hall are finished.

Furthermore what an extraordinary security in the streets and parks of Krakow, even at night. Here it is not necessary to have eyes in the back as in many other cities. "Pourvu que ça dure!".

A tragic history.

From all European countries the history of Poland during WW II is one of the most tragic.
It is sometimes forgotten that the Poles were the first to suffer in the concentration camps. What is remarkable is that Polish soldiers continued their fight against the nazis by forming a Polish Corps in the UK.

In the National museum of Krakow I discovered the Polish winged hussars which I found back centuries later on tanks during the Battle of Normandy in August 1944 and who liberated a large part of my country among with the "WW I remembrance town" of Ieper/Ypres.
Belgium honored the Poles who liberated Flanders by giving the 9th Rifle Battalion along with the title "Rifle Flanders" the shoulder cords called "Fourragere" in the colors of the Belgian War Cross (9 Battalion Strzelców Flandryjskich).

"Dziekuje" and "Czesc".

I would very much like to thank Matt, Urszula and friends for their so professional and friendly organization of this VT Euromeet 2010.
They also choose the best dates for the meeting avoiding the terrible flood. One hour after my arrival it stopped raining and most of the time I got sunshine; when I left it started raining again (sorry for those who remained).

• Pros:Read my tips, all are enthusiast.
  • Cons:Nothing from my experience.
  • In a nutshell:Rome in Poland !
  • Last visit to Krakow: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2011

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Stunning and safe are words to be repeated again and again around Krakow. Good summary of your taste of Krakow. Hope you can visit again. I could spend weeks hanging out in their cafes.

• sihi's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Very nice page of this fantastic city!!:)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Hello Eddy, it’s high praise for Krakow that you call it «Rome in Poland» – but I think the Polish did not have such crazy emperors as the Romans did. Yesterday I was in Dortmund and saw yet another opera about a crazy Roman emperor who was murdered: L’Eliogabalo by Francesco Cavalli (1602-1676). It was an excellent production, though I may be slightly prejudiced because I know the stage director and two of the singers.

• 68maciek's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2011 at 6:42 AM

Thanks for your answer about Madrid area. A very very good page about Krakow. I will return to read your other pages soon.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2011 at 8:00 AM

What an impressive page! now I remember the small market square :) Beautiful pics of Rynek Glowny. I was there in October, autumn colours... my favourite memory is the romantic Planty!

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM

the city is worth visiting. at the same time it is full of not fun history during WWII - some interesting points of your views here.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM

a lot of great tips! we too loved Krakow and particularly impressed, as you, by St. Mary's!! there was a group visiting fr Sri Lanka when I did, and they sang while I was there--just standing at the front! and it was stunning!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2010 at 3:07 AM

Awesome page full of interesting and useful tips, observations as well as beautiful pictures and videos. Thanks a lot for sharing. You are always welcome back to Poland and Krakow :-)!

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Hey, Wood-chopper ;-) OK, we get the message: try the strong local beer. I see you clearly can't forget it after 5.5 months, or am I seeing double??? ;-)

• Sep 30, 2010 at 3:07 PM

It's also possible to visit the Auschwitz I camp before 10AM without having to join the regular tour. That's what we did on our trip. We've used the Krakow Executive. Our driver - Tom was very good. The whole visit plus the journey took us 6 hours

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Badges & Stats in Krakow