"Krakow: Rome in Poland." Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow by breughel
Krakow Travel Guide: 4,452 reviews and 10,486 photos
I was most surprised and pleased with the cultural homogeneity of the old city of Krakow.
The architectural, cultural, religious unity and an apparently social unity create a harmony that has disappeared from many cities of Western Europe.
Even if I do not understand the language it seemed to me that there reigned a good conviviality.
I also found that Krakow was still largely visited by the Poles themselves.
It is a milestone in the national history and religious life of Poland.
Krakow is somehow the Polish Rome.
I will return with my family.
That's what I did with my wife in June 2011. We were glad to see that the renovation works at the Sukenniece - Cloth Hall are finished.
Furthermore what an extraordinary security in the streets and parks of Krakow, even at night. Here it is not necessary to have eyes in the back as in many other cities. "Pourvu que ça dure!".
From all European countries the history of Poland during WW II is one of the most tragic.
It is sometimes forgotten that the Poles were the first to suffer in the concentration camps. What is remarkable is that Polish soldiers continued their fight against the nazis by forming a Polish Corps in the UK.
In the National museum of Krakow I discovered the Polish winged hussars which I found back centuries later on tanks during the Battle of Normandy in August 1944 and who liberated a large part of my country among with the "WW I remembrance town" of Ieper/Ypres.
Belgium honored the Poles who liberated Flanders by giving the 9th Rifle Battalion along with the title "Rifle Flanders" the shoulder cords called "Fourragere" in the colors of the Belgian War Cross (9 Battalion Strzelców Flandryjskich).
I would very much like to thank Matt, Urszula and friends for their so professional and friendly organization of this VT Euromeet 2010.
They also choose the best dates for the meeting avoiding the terrible flood. One hour after my arrival it stopped raining and most of the time I got sunshine; when I left it started raining again (sorry for those who remained).
- Pros:Read my tips, all are enthusiast.
- Cons:Nothing from my experience.
- In a nutshell:Rome in Poland !
On my two visits to Auschwitz and Birkenau I made the choice of an individual visit. For me it was essential to be alone... more travel advice
At the feet of the Wawel castle on the southern side stands St. Bernard's church. Last year I could not make a detailed... more travel advice
breughel's Related Pages
Krakow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heart of Europe and Poland"
- "Krakow - Ancient Capital of Poland"
- "Krakow: Rome in Poland."
- "Krakow ~ Everybody's Favourite!"
- "How could you not love Krakow?"
- "EUROMEET IN KRAKOW POLAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Krakow
- Hotels in Krakow
- Transportation in Krakow
- Nightlife in Krakow
- Restaurants in Krakow
- Shopping in Krakow
- Warnings and Dangers in Krakow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Krakow
- 59 Reviews
- 133 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Krakow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krakow
- Posted in Travel Ieper Forum "Re: Asking for reviews on the..."
- Commented on one of breughel's Krakow tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Choir of the Bazylika Mariacka."
- Wrote a Review Birkenau - Auschwitz II. about Birkenau in Krakow Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Krakow
- updated a Krakow Travel Page "Krakow: Rome in Poland."
Photos in KrakowSee All Photos (133)
Videos in KrakowSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 242 reviews, 560 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 146 reviews, 377 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 87 reviews, 219 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 65 reviews, 185 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 90 reviews, 136 photos
- Venice Intro, 63 reviews, 155 photos
- London Intro, 59 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 59 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 43 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 46 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues