Haarlem Favorite Tips by breughel Top 5 Page for this destination
Haarlem Favorites: 64 reviews and 62 photos
Favorite thing: Paddos instead of weed.
During my recent stay in Holland I learned that the trend nowadays is for "paddos", Dutch word for "paddestoel" or mushroom.
Hallucinogenic mushrooms are now a must.
The Dutch newspapers reported already deadly casualties with "magic mushrooms" among tourists in Amsterdam.
Owners of coffee shops will be obliged to hire skilled botanists in order to avoid further lethal cases.
Although I have not a Ph.D. in mycology, I feel I could recommend "Funghi Porcini" as a magic mushroom. I didn't try them in Haarlem but had some in Italy, where this "paddo" is produced. I took this paddo together with tagliatelle and I can tell you that I reached the seventh heaven..
========LATEST NEWS in the Dutch press: the responsible ministers of health and justice have decided to put paddo's under the opium law = prohibition.
The "smartshops" organisation "De Vereniging Landelijk Overleg Smartshops" (sic) is furious. Last year there were 124 incidents in Amsterdam, some deadly, with hallucinogenic mushrooms mostly with young tourists.
Un opérateur de tourisme Néerlandais me confiait que les coffee shops sont au tourisme des Pays-Bas ce que la Joconde est au tourisme Français.
Je constate en effet qu'une petite ville comme Haarlem recueille 18 tips pour ses coffee shops et 16 revues pour son musée Frans Hals de renommée internationale.
Il y a cependant une nouvelle tendance qui est celle des "paddos" abréviation du mot néerlandais "paddestoel" ou champignon. Le trend est au champignons hallucinogènes. Les journaux néerlandais relataient lors de mon séjour différent cas d'intoxication mortelle de touristes à Amsterdam par ces champignons "magiques".
Les tenanciers des coffee shops devront faire appel à des botanistes pour éviter d'autres accidents mortels.
Personnellement je recommande vivement un champignon italien le "funghi porcini".
J'en ai goutté accompagné de tagliatelles et j'ai atteint le septième ciel.
He did not invent the first printing press.
Favorite thing: Actually most celebrities of Haarlem were not born in Haarlem or belong to the legend instead of history!
The most famous, the painter Frans Hals was Flemish, born in Antwerp. Although he was a well known painter in his time already, he faced a lot of financial difficulties. It seems that Dutch painters did not get rich with their art when you learn about the financial problems of Rembrandt (went bankrupt), Vermeer and much later Van Gogh.
The town architect Lieven de Key who builded the "Vleeshal" was also Flemish what is not surprising; around 1625 the population of Haarlem consisted of 50% Flemish immigrants who had fled the Spanish domination in their country.
Christian Müller who made the famous organ of the Grote Kerk - St. Bavo was born in Germany at Sankt Andreasberg. He came to Amsterdam when he was about 25 years old.
A genuine Haarlemmer Laurens Jansz. Coster, whose statue stands on the Grote Markt since 1856 would have been the first European to invent the movable type printing press. This is presently considered, also by Haarlem historians, as a legend. (Gutenberg can sleep on his two ears).
Other famous Haarlemmers were the Knights who in 1219 conquered the Egyptian port of Damietta (Egypt) during the 5th crusade. Haarlem was very proud of this glorious capture of Damietta. (ref. the large painting at the Frans Hals museum).
Actually it appears that the ships who broke trough the chain at the entrance of the Damietta harbour (in fact who took the tower to which the chain was attached) were manned by Frisians.
Fondest memory: Their sense of humour about their historical celebrities.
More Reviews (23)
breughel's Related Pages
Haarlem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Haarlem - City of Flowers"
- "HAARLEM MY HOMETOWN"
- "Between us, I prefer Haarlem to Amsterdam."
- "READY FOR A VT-MEETING?"
- "An Easy Day Trip From Amsterdam Central"
- "Haarlem Adventures"
- "sandravdp's new Haarlem Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haarlem
- Hotels in Haarlem
- Transportation in Haarlem
- Nightlife in Haarlem
- Restaurants in Haarlem
- Shopping in Haarlem
- Warnings and Dangers in Haarlem
- See All...
Explore the World
- Valentine National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Nashville Hotels
- Province of Zamboanga del Sur
- Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi
- Lelystad Hotels
- Holly Springs Hotels
Badges & Stats in Haarlem
- 25 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Haarlem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haarlem
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How bad is the weather in..."
- Wrote a Review St Bavo and the Grote Kerk are the same church. about St. Bavo Cathedral in Haarlem Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "St Bavo and the Grote Kerk are the same church."
- updated a Haarlem Travel Page "Between us, I prefer Haarlem to Amsterdam."
- Commented on one of martin_nl's Haarlem travel pages
Photos in HaarlemSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 239 reviews, 551 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 145 reviews, 371 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 87 reviews, 218 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 58 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 90 reviews, 132 photos
- Venice Intro, 61 reviews, 148 photos
- London Intro, 58 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 58 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 42 reviews, 80 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (39)
Latest Haarlem hotel reviews
- Hotel Carillon
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Carlton Square Hotel
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Hotel Malts
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Amadeus Hotel
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Amrath Grand Hotel Frans Hals
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Ambassador City Centre Hotel
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Van Der Valk Hotel Haarlem Zuid
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Stayokay Haarlem
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- Golden Tulip Lion Dor
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Hotel Die Raeckse
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Grote Markt- 41 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Hofjes- 24 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Streets / Canals- 19 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Grote Kerk- 19 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Frans Hals Museum- 17 Reviews, 30 Photos
- St. Bavo Cathedral- 8 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Teylers Museum- 17 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Spaarne- 12 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Museums- 13 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Surroundings- 13 Reviews, 12 Photos
See All Haarlem Things to Do