"Between us, I prefer Haarlem to Amsterdam." Top 5 Page for this destination Haarlem by breughel
Haarlem Travel Guide: 570 reviews and 1,426 photos
Not only did arts in Haarlem, especially painting, precede Amsterdam but Haarlem was often at the top of arts and culture in the Netherlands.
In the 16th c. there were already the "mannerists of Haarlem".
Around 1600 started in this town what would be called nowadays an "art nouveau". Painters started painting canvasses with dimensions adapted to the interiors of the bourgeois and left aside religious and mythological subjects.
Hundred thousands of paintings of landscapes, marines, still life's, genre scenes were put on the market. There were even lotteries of paintings.
Painters specialised in all sort of themes:
Still life's with fish, winter scenes, Italian type landscapes, coast landscapes, etc. etc.
All this can be found in the famous Frans Hals museum.
Haarlem has kept something in the air of that glorious time. A touch of Dutch culture has been maintained. A style of life smoother than that of Amsterdam; cyclists here appear less aggressive.
Oh yes, I forgot, they still speak Dutch in Haarlem!
I made this one day trip to Haarlem by train from Amsterdam CS. There are 4 or 5 trains per hour and the trip takes about 15 minutes.
I visited first the Tylers Museum about 1 km south-east from the station and then the Frans Hals museum 1,5 Km south from the station. I finished the visit by the Grote Markt.
It is also possible to visit Haarlem avoiding the museums and concentrating on the coffeeshops. I promised my children that I would take this approach on my next trip.
- Pros:The Frans Hals museum and a style of life smoother than that of Amsterdam.
- Cons:Nothing from my experience.
- In a nutshell:A touch of Dutch culture has been maintained.
St Bavo Cathedral and the Grote Kerk Haarlem are the same church what explains that I wrote twice my review: The... more travel advice
Paddos instead of weed. During my recent stay in Holland I learned that the trend nowadays is for "paddos", Dutch word... more travel advice
breughel's Related Pages
Haarlem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Haarlem - City of Flowers"
- "HAARLEM MY HOMETOWN"
- "Between us, I prefer Haarlem to Amsterdam."
- "READY FOR A VT-MEETING?"
- "An Easy Day Trip From Amsterdam Central"
- "Haarlem Adventures"
- "sandravdp's new Haarlem Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haarlem
- Hotels in Haarlem
- Transportation in Haarlem
- Nightlife in Haarlem
- Restaurants in Haarlem
- Shopping in Haarlem
- Warnings and Dangers in Haarlem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haarlem
- 25 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Haarlem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haarlem
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How bad is the weather in..."
- Wrote a Review St Bavo and the Grote Kerk are the same church. about St. Bavo Cathedral in Haarlem Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "St Bavo and the Grote Kerk are the same church."
- updated a Haarlem Travel Page "Between us, I prefer Haarlem to Amsterdam."
- Commented on one of martin_nl's Haarlem travel pages
Photos in HaarlemSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 240 reviews, 556 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 145 reviews, 371 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 87 reviews, 218 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 58 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 90 reviews, 132 photos
- Venice Intro, 61 reviews, 148 photos
- London Intro, 58 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 58 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 42 reviews, 80 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (39)
Latest Haarlem hotel reviews
- Hotel Carillon
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Carlton Square Hotel
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Hotel Malts
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Amadeus Hotel
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Amrath Grand Hotel Frans Hals
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Ambassador City Centre Hotel
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Van Der Valk Hotel Haarlem Zuid
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Stayokay Haarlem
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Hotel Die Raeckse
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Golden Tulip Lion Dor
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013