"IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS." Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper by breughel
Ieper Travel Guide: 539 reviews and 1,598 photos
I can not avoid being emotional when visiting a town like Ieper where half million young man died during WW I.
These young men were mainly British or from the Commonwealth countries.
It is a sad paradox, my country Belgium was never invaded by the British but so many British soldiers died here to push back invaders.
I visited Ieper-Ypres on the occasion of the VT member meeting on 21/04/2007.
We were about twenty, speaking West Flemish dialect, Dutch from Holland and French. This is the fun of Belgium, jumping from one language to another.
We had very nice weather; since 3 weeks there was no rain in Belgium so that we do not complain about the warming up of the climate.
The visit at the Flanders Fields Museum was a special moment of emotion for me.
My grand-father was on the Yser in WW I. He got the typhus but survived. As he was in the artillery he was less exposed than the infantry in the first lines. Strange enough he never spoke about that period of his life.
I had another emotion when at the "Last Post" ceremony at the Menin Gate Monument. The British delegation was composed of recruits of the Welsh Guards.
It were the ancestors of these young Guards who liberated Brussels in Sept. 1944 (ref. my intro on Belgium Liberation of Brussels 1944). I told the recruits that one of their ancestors, on a Cromwell tank, gave me my first chewing gum and smile of a friendly soldier!
I had a photo made with their lieutenant; he was pleased to meet an old bloke who had seen his grand father's battalion entering Brussels.
I hope he appreciated my positive appreciation of the drill of his recruits.
Next year 2014 will be the commemoration of the centenary of the First World War.
The Flemish Region is publishing "The Great War Centenary 2014-18" that you can download from
- Pros:Ieper is by excellence the city of WW I remembrance.
- Cons:Too many emotions.
- In a nutshell:Impossible for me to reduce WW I to a nutshell !
The grandfather of my wife served during WW I in the Belgian air force. We have only a photo of him in his plane and a... more travel advice
I much recommend the special exhibition from 04.10.2014 till 04.01.2015 at the Cloth Hall, Royal Chamber: "The Battle... more travel advice
breughel's Related Pages
Ieper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ieper (Ypres) touches all senses in extremes"
- "IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS."
- "The Great War is never far away . . ."
- "A Living Memorial...and MORE!!"
- "Ieper - West of Flanders"
- "Ieper (Ypres)"
- "IEPER (YPRES)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ieper
- Hotels in Ieper
- Transportation in Ieper
- Nightlife in Ieper
- Restaurants in Ieper
- Shopping in Ieper
- Warnings and Dangers in Ieper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ieper
- 46 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Ieper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ieper
- updated a Ieper Travel Page "IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS."
- Commented on one of aaaarrgh's Ieper tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "My wife's grandfather in WW I."
- Wrote a Review My wife's grandfather in WW I. about Centenary Commemoration of WW I in Ieper Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Ieper Forum "Re: Asking for reviews on the..."
- Commented on the Ieper Things to Do travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Ieper
Photos in IeperSee All Photos (99)
Videos in IeperSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 242 reviews, 560 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 146 reviews, 377 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 87 reviews, 219 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 65 reviews, 185 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 90 reviews, 136 photos
- Venice Intro, 63 reviews, 155 photos
- London Intro, 59 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 59 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 43 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 46 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues