"IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS." Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper by breughel

Ieper Travel Guide: 517 reviews and 1,518 photos

MY EMOTIONS.

I can not avoid being emotional when visiting a town like Ieper where half million young man died during WW I.
These young men were mainly British or from the Commonwealth countries.
It is a sad paradox, my country Belgium was never invaded by the British but so many British soldiers died here to push back invaders.

I visited Ieper-Ypres on the occasion of the VT member meeting on 21/04/2007.
We were about twenty, speaking West Flemish dialect, Dutch from Holland and French. This is the fun of Belgium, jumping from one language to another.
We had very nice weather; since 3 weeks there was no rain in Belgium so that we do not complain about the warming up of the climate.

The visit at the Flanders Fields Museum was a special moment of emotion for me.
My grand-father was on the Yser in WW I. He got the typhus but survived. As he was in the artillery he was less exposed than the infantry in the first lines. Strange enough he never spoke about that period of his life.

I had another emotion when at the "Last Post" ceremony at the Menin Gate Monument. The British delegation was composed of recruits of the Welsh Guards.
It were the ancestors of these young Guards who liberated Brussels in Sept. 1944 (ref. my intro on Belgium Liberation of Brussels 1944). I told the recruits that one of their ancestors, on a Cromwell tank, gave me my first chewing gum and smile of a friendly soldier!

I'm a fan of the Welsh Guards.

I had a photo made with their lieutenant; he was pleased to meet an old bloke who had seen his grand father's battalion entering Brussels.

I hope he appreciated my positive appreciation of the drill of his recruits.

Commemoration of the centenary of World War I.

Next year 2014 will be the commemoration of the centenary of the First World War.
The Flemish Region is publishing "The Great War Centenary 2014-18" that you can download from
documenten/The%20Great%20War%20Centenary.pdf

• Pros:Ieper is by excellence the city of WW I remembrance.
  • Cons:Too many emotions.
  • In a nutshell:Impossible for me to reduce WW I to a nutshell !
  • Last visit to Ieper: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Mar 7, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Eddy, I’m glad to see that you have again been updating this important page.

Last night in my advanced English conversation class I did a lesson on the Christmas Truce of 99 years ago.

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

A lovely and heartfelt page, thank you!

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Thank you for your kind comment. 2014 will be important for Ieper as it is the century commemoration of the start of WW I.

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Fantastic page with some excellent pictures and info

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Thank you for your kind comment. Next year is the WW1 Centenary and many visitors from the UK are expected. David Cameron was in Ieper to-day.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Outstanding and comprehensive page with very detailed historic background.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Thank you for visiting my Ypres pages.
      2014 will be the century commemoration of the start of WW I.
      I suppose there will be many visitors from the UK, Canada, ANZAC countries. Actually the Belgian Army was not far from Ieper on the Yser River. Our King Albert I was so wise to stay on defense positions so that my grand-father survived the war.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

You have added more tips and updated everything since I last looked at this fine page in 2007. And I am glad to see that you are now the editor for Ieper. It certainly is amazing how the city of Ieper was reconstructed after being almost completely destroyed in World War I.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Thank you Don for having a look at my Ieper/Ypres pages. Although I resigned from all my trip group editor functions I asked to be Travel Editor for Ieper because I did not want a "Béotien" to be in charge of this WW I remembrance city.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM

wonderful informative page, great historical perspective, enjoyed reading through it. ?freedom fries? should note my beloved p loves mussels even as probably butchered here in the states. appreciate the work you put into this material.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM

your inspired effort on this page will be my reading assignment for the coming week. never realized just how many died here.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Very well done! And the fact that you took time to write so well on military cemetaries and related topics means a lot to me. Thank you!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2010 at 10:41 AM

You have great comments and pictures. Our TV discusses the history, which always fascinated me; but the tragedy of all those lost. Kansas City has one of few memorials of WWI;a very nice to tour. Thank you for the insight and your family involvement.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2009 at 2:25 PM

You have very informative and thorough pages here about Ieper...Your connection to the Welsh Guards is certainly a personal and an interesting one.My time spent in the area was certainly a reflective and sobering few days.Thank you for sharing here !

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Badges & Stats in Ieper