"IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS." Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper by breughel
Ieper Travel Guide: 484 reviews and 1,387 photos
I can not avoid being emotional when visiting a town like Ieper where half million young man died during WW I.
These young men were mainly British or from the Commonwealth countries.
It is a sad paradox, my country Belgium was never invaded by the British but so many British soldiers died here to push back invaders.
I visited Ieper-Ypres on the occasion of the VT member meeting on 21/04/2007.
We were about twenty, speaking West Flemish dialect, Dutch from Holland and French. This is the fun of Belgium, jumping from one language to another.
We had very nice weather; since 3 weeks there was no rain in Belgium so that we do not complain about the warming up of the climate.
The visit at the Flanders Fields Museum was a special moment of emotion for me.
My grand-father was on the Yser in WW I. He got the typhus but survived. As he was in the artillery he was less exposed than the infantry in the first lines. Strange enough he never spoke about that period of his life.
I had another emotion when at the "Last Post" ceremony at the Menin Gate Monument. The British delegation was composed of recruits of the Welsh Guards.
It were the ancestors of these young Guards who liberated Brussels in Sept. 1944 (ref. my intro on Belgium Liberation of Brussels 1944). I told the recruits that one of their ancestors, on a Cromwell tank, gave me my first chewing gum and smile of a friendly soldier!
I had a photo made with their lieutenant; he was pleased to meet an old bloke who had seen his grand father's battalion entering Brussels.
I hope he appreciated my positive appreciation of the drill of his recruits.
Next year 2014 will be the commemoration of the centenary of the First World War.
The Flemish Region is publishing "The Great War Centenary 2014-18" that you can download from
- Pros:Ieper is by excellence the city of WW I remembrance.
- Cons:Too many emotions.
- In a nutshell:Impossible for me to reduce WW I to a nutshell !
The only official language in Ieper and more generally the Flemish part of Belgium is "Nederlands" (Dutch). Don't really... more travel advice
This is not a local custom of Ieper as Mussels with Frites are a national dish in Belgium so that you will find them in... more travel advice
breughel's Related Pages
Ieper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ieper (Ypres) touches all senses in extremes"
- "IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS."
- "The Great War is never far away . . ."
- "A Living Memorial...and MORE!!"
- "Ieper - West of Flanders"
- "Ieper (Ypres)"
- "Wild West Vlaanderen Meeting April 21, 2007 Pt. 1"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ieper
- Hotels in Ieper
- Transportation in Ieper
- Nightlife in Ieper
- Restaurants in Ieper
- Shopping in Ieper
- Warnings and Dangers in Ieper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ieper
- 42 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Ieper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ieper
- Commented on one of breughel's Ieper travel pages
- Commented on the Ieper travel guide
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How bad is the weather in..."
- Wrote a Review Battlefield Tours with guide. in Ieper Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The difference between Dutch and Flemish."
- updated a Ieper Travel Page "IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS."
- Uploaded a Video to Ieper
Photos in IeperSee All Photos (80)
Videos in IeperSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 240 reviews, 556 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 145 reviews, 371 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 87 reviews, 218 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 58 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 90 reviews, 132 photos
- Venice Intro, 61 reviews, 148 photos
- London Intro, 58 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 58 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 42 reviews, 80 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (40)
Latest Ieper hotel reviews
- Best Western Flanders Lodge
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Kasteelhof 't Hooghe
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Novotel Ieper Centrum
- 430 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- Hotel Ariane
- 478 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013