"Mechelen gave its name to a famous Shepherd Dog." Mechelen by breughel
Mechelen Travel Guide: 285 reviews and 676 photos
The city of Mechelen is certainly known in Belgium and abroad by her Grote Markt, St Rombouts cathedral and her place in the history of the Duchy of Burgundy.
But it is not impossible that the name of Mechelen and especially the French name Malinois is known worldwide because of a breed of Belgian Shepherd Dogs called "MALINOIS".
There are associations or clubs (Kennel clubs) of Belgian Malinois Shepherd Dogs in many countries.
The history of this dog starts around 1890 when a group of concerned dog fanciers under the guidance of Prof. A. Reul of the Cureghem Veterinary Medical School (Anderlecht- Brussels) gathered foundation stock from the areas around Mechelen-Malines, Tervuren, Groenendael, and Laeken in Belgium.
The "Mechelse Herder" was used as sheepdog in that part of Belgium called North-Brabant and Kempen and was called after the city of Mechelen.
Official breed creation occurred around 1891, when the Club du Chien de Berger Belge (Belgian Shepherd Dog Club) was formed in Brussels. Official recognition happened in 1901 when the Royal Saint-Hubert Society Stud Book began registering Belgian Shepherd Dogs.
The three other varieties of Belgian Shepherd Dogs Tervueren, Groenendael and Laekenois differ by the hair color and texture. Their name is that of small towns close to Brussels.
Has my intro and tip any possible interest for the tourist?
Yes, if he sees a warning "beware of the dog" it might be a Malinois so that he better stays out!
breughel's Related Pages
Mechelen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mechelen, where an emperor was raised"
- "Where two Margarets once ruled"
- "Did you missed it? what happened?"
- "Mechelen - Religious capital of Belgium"
- "Mechelen, city of the moon extinguishers"
- "VT meeting - Part I"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mechelen
- Hotels in Mechelen
- Transportation in Mechelen
- Nightlife in Mechelen
- Restaurants in Mechelen
- Shopping in Mechelen
- Warnings and Dangers in Mechelen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mechelen
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Mechelen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mechelen
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How bad is the weather in..."
- updated a Mechelen Travel Page "Mechelen gave its name to a famous Shepherd Dog."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mechelen gave its name to a famous Shepherd Dog."
- Commented on one of bugulma's Mechelen travel pages
- Wrote a Review Belgian Malinois Shepherd Dogs. in Mechelen Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 239 reviews, 551 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 145 reviews, 371 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 87 reviews, 218 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 58 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 90 reviews, 132 photos
- Venice Intro, 61 reviews, 148 photos
- London Intro, 58 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 58 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 42 reviews, 80 photos
Latest Mechelen hotel reviews
- Hotel Carolus
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- NH Mechelen
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Mechelen City Centre
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Hotel Hobbit
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Novotel Mechelen Centrum
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Gulden Anker
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013