London Favorite Tips by breughel
London Favorites: 1,831 reviews and 2,274 photos
Favorite thing: I wonder if I can call this a favorite; it's more a reality of the heterogeneous architecture of London since the restrictions on building heights originally imposed by the London Building Act of 1894 have been eased, especially since the 1980s and a marked run to tall buildings in the last ten years. Between my first visit in 1961 and now it seems to me that I'm on another architectural planet.
The contrasts are surprising, amusing, if not shocking. I just put here two photos made from the Tower of London towards the City.
The medieval tower or turrets from the London Tower, the "Ten Trinity Square" from 1922 topped by a series of sculptures and originally built for the Port of London Authority, the "Gherkin" (Swiss Re Building - 2003) which I call "le suppositoire" and further the Tower 42 (1980).
After that you will understand that I prefer the views on Rome or Paris aside from economic considerations.
British Museum - Nerreid Monument.
Favorite thing: British Museum and Le Louvre are for me the best European museums of Antiquities.
My preferred museums of Antiquities in Europe are the following:
Under Antiquities I mean here Roman, Greek, Egyptian and Near Eastern artefacts.
Le Louvre, Paris.
British Museum, London.
Museumsinsel Berlin (Museum Island) with various museums like the Altes Museum, the Pergamon Museum and the Egyptian Museum
Greek and Roman antiquities:
Capitoline Museum and the two Museo Nazionale Romano (Palazzo Altemps and Palazzo Massimo), Rome.
National Archaeological Museum and Acropolis Museum, Athens.
Vatican Museum, Rome.
Museo Egizio (Egyptian museum), Turin.
And Egyptian departments of Le Louvre, British Museum and Berlin Island museum (one of the best in Europe).
Of course there are others like Vienna's KHM, Olympia, Leiden, Brussels, etc., etc. but if you have time to visit my favoured ones you will already feel a happy cultured traveller.
Favorite thing: Just read in the Telegraph of 24 Oct 2009.
"Ben Bradshaw, the Culture Secretary, has criticised the Prince of Wales for interfering with a high-profile housing development because he did not approve of its style of modern architecture."
I must say that, when looking at the architectural landscape of London and remembering how it looked half a century ago at the time of my first visits, I'm not really enthusiast about the evolution.
Maybe I like harmony and that's not what I find nowadays looking at London. There is big contrast - an architectural shock - between modern buildings and older ones crammed on each other.
Some modern architecture is interesting but the narrow streets, the absence of perspective make me understand the reluctance of Prince Charles.
More Reviews (56)
breughel's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- "London, the capital of England"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 59 Reviews
- 143 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
- Commented on one of davidjo's London tips
- Wrote a Review On guard in April 2014. about Buckingham Palace in London Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Ieper Forum "Re: Asking for reviews on the..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "IWM - Surprizing objects."
- Uploaded a Video to London
- updated a London Travel Page "Another Continent."
Photos in LondonSee All Photos (143)
Videos in LondonSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 242 reviews, 560 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 146 reviews, 377 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 87 reviews, 219 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 65 reviews, 185 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 90 reviews, 136 photos
- Venice Intro, 63 reviews, 155 photos
- London Intro, 59 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 59 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 43 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 46 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
- Tower of London- 505 Reviews, 851 Photos
- London Eye- 350 Reviews, 565 Photos
- British Museum- 312 Reviews, 563 Photos
- St. Pauls Cathedral- 267 Reviews, 463 Photos
- Westminster Abbey- 270 Reviews, 463 Photos
- Houses of Parliament and Big Ben- 395 Reviews, 673 Photos
- Buckingham Palace- 418 Reviews, 679 Photos
- Hyde Park- 187 Reviews, 359 Photos
- Camden Town, Lock and Market- 128 Reviews, 259 Photos
- Piccadilly- 191 Reviews, 293 Photos
See All London Things to Do