"My paradise gardens." Granada by breughel
Granada Travel Guide: 2,005 reviews and 4,925 photos
Panoramic photo of the Alhambra made from San Nicolas.
From the right to the left the Alcazaba with the Torre de la Vela, the Palacio de Carlos V, the Palacio Nazaries with the Torre de Comares and the Generalife.
On a previous visit in the month October there was already snow on the Sierra Nevada (> 3000 m). The view was unique.
If heaven exists I want it to look like the Alhambra gardens of Granada.
If heaven does not exist I can say that I found paradise on earth in the gardens of the Generalife.
In each case I'm a winner because I've already seen the paradise in Granada.
It reminds me of Pascal's wager. Whatever the outcome I'm a winner!
These philosophical-religious ranting serve me as preamble to say that this is my 1000th and final tip on VT. I have nothing more in the pipeline and I do not feel any stimulation to write a comment with "content" that nobody might read in the new blog type format.
Si le paradis existe j'aimerais qu'il ressemble aux jardins de l'Alhambra.
S'il n'existe pas je peux dire que j'ai trouvé le paradis sur terre à Grenade dans les jardins du Generalife.
Dans l'une ou l'autre éventualité je suis gagnant car j'ai vu le paradis.
Ca me fait penser au pari de Pascal. Quelque soit l'issue j'en sors gagnant!
Ces élucubrations philosophico-religieuses me servent de préambule pour dire que ceci est mon 1000e et dernier tip sur VT. Je n'ai plus rien dans le pipe-line et je ne ressens plus aucune stimulation à écrire un commentaire possédant du "contenu" que personne ne lira dans la nouvelle présentation qui a optée pour le style blog.
After visiting the splendors of the Alhambra I could not avoid thinking of Muhammad XII az-Zughbî Boabdil who on the 2nd of January 1492 surrendered Granada to Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabel of Castile the "los Reyes Catolicos".
Boabdil lost everything even the respect of his mother. On the way of exile he turned to look at Granada in the distance and burst in tears. His mother approached him and said: "Thou dost weep like a woman for what thou couldst not defend as a man."
The spot from which Boabdil looked for the last time on Granada is known as "the Moor's last sigh".
This was the end of the 7 centuries long war of reconquest of the Iberian Peninsula. Spain was invaded in 711 by the Moors. The Reconquista started in 722 in the Asturias to end begin 1492 in Granada. A unique example of a liberation war.
King Ferdinand and Queen Isabel are buried in the Capila Real of Granada.
Boabdil lived in exile in Morocco where he died in 1533? He became subject of popular culture (Salman Rushdie's book, "The Moor's Last Sigh" and Louis Aragon's book "Le Fou d'Elsa", and even an opera).
breughel's Related Pages
Granada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Granada"
- "Much More Than The Alhambra"
- "And How to fall in love with a city...."
- "Feel of Old Islam in Spain"
- "Beautiful architecture and fantastic views!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granada
- Hotels in Granada
- Transportation in Granada
- Nightlife in Granada
- Restaurants in Granada
- Shopping in Granada
- Warnings and Dangers in Granada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Granada
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Granada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granada
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How bad is the weather in..."
- Wrote a Review A cat and twelve lions. about Alhambra - Nasrid Palaces in Granada Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A cat and twelve lions."
- updated a Granada Travel Page "My paradise gardens."
- Commented on one of willy_wonka's Granada travel pages
Photos in GranadaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 240 reviews, 556 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 146 reviews, 374 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 87 reviews, 218 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 58 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 90 reviews, 132 photos
- Venice Intro, 61 reviews, 148 photos
- London Intro, 58 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 58 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 42 reviews, 80 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
Latest Granada hotel reviews
- Room Mate Migueletes
- 397 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- Tryp Albayzin
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- 269 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Hotel Juan Miguel
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Hotel Plaza Nueva
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Alhambra Palace Hotel Granada
- 395 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hostal Austria
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Oasis Backpackers' Hostel Granada
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 20, 2013
- Carmen Hotel
- 218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Pension Casa del Aljarife
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Portago Suites
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Melia Granada
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013