"Guadalupe in Extremadura" Guadalupe by breughel
Guadalupe Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 40 photos
This small town of Extremadura is less visited by foreign visitors that the towns of Caceres and Trujillo but within the Spanish speaking community "Hispanidad" Guadalupe in an extremely important pilgrimage centre. In Spain the Virgen de Guadalupe is as important as Lourdes in France. Fortunately for us as Guadalupe is far away from large towns and hidden in the hills of that eccentric part of Spain which is Extremadura, we did not meet crowds. Guadalupe was rather quiet with only 2500 inhabitants and a few busses of pilgrims.
The country is very nice and green with natural parks.
Except the monastery there is not much to see so that one night is sufficient.
I write that today but the visitors of the 15 - 17th c. would have formally disagreed with me.
Colombus signed here the agreement authorizing his trip to what would be America. Kings, noblemen, conquerors came to the sanctuary of the Black Virgin which dates from the late 13th c.
Guadalupe was a centre of studies in humanities and sciences especially medical sciences. It was here in 1402 that the first dissection of a human corpse in Spain took place but with the special permission of Rome.
Now if we start digging in the history of Guadalupe we might well stay for more than one day!
Inside the Royal Monastery of Santa Maria de Guadalupe there is an hotel. We did not stay at this hotel but could visit... more travel advice
Entrance is free by the Plaza. The basilica is part of the monastery and only the central nave is open to the... more travel advice
breughel's Related Pages
Guadalupe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guadalupe in Extremadura"
- "visit the monastery of Guadalupe -and sleep in it"
- "A Night at the Parador de Guadalupe"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guadalupe
- 11 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Guadalupe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guadalupe
Photos in GuadalupeSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 240 reviews, 556 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 145 reviews, 371 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 87 reviews, 218 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 58 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 90 reviews, 132 photos
- Venice Intro, 61 reviews, 148 photos
- London Intro, 58 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 58 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 42 reviews, 80 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (39)
Latest Guadalupe hotel reviews
- Parador de Guadalupe
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013