"My favoured cultural city in Spain." Top 5 Page for this destination Salamanca by breughel

Salamanca Travel Guide: 532 reviews and 1,171 photos

Salamanca and Segovia are among my favoured cities in Spain and … I wrote nothing about them!

My visit goes back as far as 2004. I have photos but my souvenirs have faded so that I'm unable to write anything consistent.

A bit of work made me find out what was what on my photos.

Walking at night in Salamanca was quite agreeable, all monuments were floodlighted.
Storks perched on all top of monuments.

It's a pity that such a cultural city has not found a tip group-travel editor to organize the "things to do" reviews now all mixed!

• Last visit to Salamanca: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Hi Eddy, I see you have added numerous updates to this page in the past six months. It’s amazing that Fray Luis de León was able to resume teaching his course right where he had left off the day before, after spending five years in prison. My one visit to Salamanca up to now was on a bicycle trip in 1963, when I spent two nights and one day in Salamanca before going on to Avila and Segovia.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Thanks so much for the tour of Salamanca! I was there in 1985 (...) but when I read and look at your page, I haven't been really there...My god, what did I miss! Love the sight of the cathedral at night and the facade with the monkey and astronaut :-) And the marvellous altarpiece! Haha, your uni is even 100 years older than mine (1527). It must have been great to study in such an environment, I can even smell the books in the library :-)

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Segovia and Salamanca were two of the first cities I visited in Spain and they both left an indelible impression. It is lovely to be reminded of them - thank you!Will be back to tour some more.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Your photos are v.good & look fantastic on VT now! Determined to visit Salamanca! I bought La Celestina (& Fuenteovejuna by Lope de Vega) to learn Spanish...in Mexico! got perplexed looks with my 17th century language! :) Bravo for all you wrote!

• Jul 27, 2011 at 5:17 PM

i enjoyed your salamanca page - i've heard many a good thing about this city.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I heard about that place a lot... Thanks for your story! The architecture and the atmosphere are superb....

• hquittner's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I agree. My wife had a gastroint. attack here so it was a comfortable place in which to be sick. As I remember, we walked into town the next day. It was not that far. Only the Paradors of ancient provenance are romantic I guess.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Hmmm! May have to go here.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2007 at 5:16 AM

I have heard of Salamance and how beautiful it is. Matters not where you stay but what you are able to see.

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Badges & Stats in Salamanca

Have you been to Salamanca?

Latest Activity in Salamanca