"TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY." Top 5 Page for this destination Rome by breughel

Rome Travel Guide: 12,182 reviews and 27,250 photos

To the Sources of my Culture and History.

On each of my visits to Rome I have the same feeling of cultural, historical abundance and plenitude.
The abundance of monuments is unequalled.
The famous Guide Michelin proposes a visit program of 7 days, only with 3 star curiosities. No other city provides such abundance which however might lead to some fatigue if not indigestion. I thus prefer short stays in Rome what is obviously easier to realize for somebody living at only two hours flying than when you have to cross the ocean!

Every time I walk on the Via Sacra I say to myself that I am a part of this Latin world.
As my Gallic, actually "Belgae", ancestors became towards 58 before J-C subjects of the Roman Empire, by the force of Julius Caesar's legions, I imagine that one of them had the privilege of becoming a Roman citizen. Maybe I'm wrong (more probably that they were enslaved) but as nobody can contest the matter I feel comfortable about my supposed Roman citizenship and culture all the more as I speak a language derived from Latin.

DO YOU HAVE ROMAN ANCESTORS?

At its maximum extent, under Emperor Trajan in 117 AD, the Roman Empire counted 60 - 80 millions Roman citizens and as many as 100 - 120 millions people lived within its borders extending from England to Egypt, from Portugal to Syria over 5 millions Km2.
Roman citizens counted for 1/5th of the world's population at the time of the Roman Empire.
The probability that you have Roman ancestors is therefore higher than you might think when you booked your trip to Rome.
As soon as you will walk on the Foro Romano you will feel a very special sensation telling you that your roots are on the Via Sacra.

"MEMOIRES D'HADRIEN" by Marguerite Yourcenar.

A successful visit to Rome needs some preparation otherwise you will get lost in the plethora of "things to do" with a monument every 50 m. You will find what you need in good guidebooks or here on VT.

Now if you would like to discover what was the spirit in the Roman Empire, what were the thoughts, worries and satisfactions of a Roman emperor then you should read the best historic novel written on this period of history: "Mémoires d'Hadrien" by Marguerite Yourcenar (Brussels 1903 - Mount Desert, USA 1987, Yourcenar was naturalized American). This book, the memoirs of Emperor Hadrian (117 - 138 AD) successor of Trajan, has been translated in 16 languages but if you understand French try the original edition; you will understand why the author became the first woman admitted at the French Academy.

• Pros:Julius Caesar by invading my country brought Latin civilisation to my ancestors.
  • Cons:Julius Caesar killed or enslaved my ancestors.
  • In a nutshell:The Source of my Culture.
  • Last visit to Rome: Apr 2012
  • Intro Updated Dec 2, 2012

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Good page.

I will re visit Rome around Christmas.

Ciao!

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Very nice fondest memories. I like how you describe attractions together with the music or the reading you raccomend though I did not particulary love Marguerite Yourcenar's Adrian.

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:02 AM

Thank you for your kind comment. Coming from Italy it is even more appreciated.
      I must say I prefer the 'L'oeuvre au noir" from Yourcenar. About Rome the best historical work I read is "Histoire de la Rome antique" by Lucien Jerphagon.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:40 AM

Eddy, I'm glad to see that you have done numerous updates here recently. Rome certainly does have a lot to offer!

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Thanks to your informative pages, I've have a wonderful virtual tour around Rome. You have covered it so well! I hope when people are heading to Rome, they will find these good pages!

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:11 AM

Thank you for rating these pages about, restaurants, hotels and transport. I had forgotten them.

Since several years I leave "travel logistics" to others and concentrate on the things that really interest me like art and history.
      The fact is than when I travel I take one plane or train, sleep in one hotel, eat in a couple of restaurants but admire hundreds of works of art.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:30 AM

That's great! I'm glad your able to do it seeing that is something that you love!

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:38 AM

I'm having a real good virtual tour! Will be back for more!

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Thank you for reading my Rome reviews. I much hope you will be able to revisit this city under good conditions.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I've made a start on your things to do and can see already a long time is needed in Rome to visit the Museums. They sound incredible and a must see. I particularly like the Capitoline museum descriptions. Will return for more...

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Thank you Dee for visiting my Rome pages.
      As to escape the crowds we often visited Rome in winter these last years so that we spend more time inside museums and churches.
      Wishing you a most Happy New-Year.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM

A great idea when your not that far away. For some one like me, I think a month or more would be needed!

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I have really enjoyed reading your pages. Love all the information and pictures!

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Started your page on Rome and have found your "favorites" very interesting. Will return over time to read more about the wonderful city.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I see you have also been updating some of your Rome tips, not only Paris.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Hi Eddy, I’m glad to see you have added numerous updates and new tips just in the past month. If I ever go back to Rome I will put the Capitoline Museums on my To Do list as # 2, right after the opera.

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Badges & Stats in Rome