"We belonged to the Duchy of Burgundy." Top 5 Page for this destination Beaune by breughel

Beaune Travel Guide: 145 reviews and 439 photos

It appears that the Belgians are amateurs of Burgundy wines. That is not astonishing since from the 14th to the 16th c. we belonged to the Duchy of Burgundy under the denomination of “Pays-Bas Bourguignons”.
Brussels was with Dijon one of the administrative capitals of the Dukes of Burgundy.
In Beaune we were thus visiting our cousins from Burgundy. I noted that regarding wine and dine we have many common points.

Il parait que les Belges sont de grands amateurs de vins de Bourgogne. Cela n'a rien d'étonnant étant donné que du XIVe au XVIe siècle nous faisons partie du Duché de Bourgogne sous la dénomination de "Pays-Bas Bourguignons".
Bruxelles fut avec Dijon une des capitales administratives des Ducs de Bourgogne.
A Beaune nous étions donc en visite chez nos cousins. J'ai constaté qu'en matière de bien manger et bien boire nous avons de nombreux points communs.

• Last visit to Beaune: Nov 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 1, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2012 at 4:24 AM

The Hospices de Beaune sounds really interesting.

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Great page! Now I've a very good impression of what I'll see in the Hospices de Beaune, definitely will try to visit when I'm there in September! But I'll not try that époisses cheese, stinking cheese does not really attract me!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2011 at 3:04 AM

I never knew that époisses cheese is not allowed on public transport in France, but that would be logical if it stinks so badly. Too bad Beaune is 600 Km from your home so you can’t return so often to buy more "saucissons". I expect some German banker or manager will someday come with his hard-earned (?) bonus money and buy that bottle of a La Tâche 2003 for 1550 €.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2011 at 10:55 PM

toiture non d'origine? beau, quand même:) Autrement j'aime Bouts, Christus,Van Eyck, Campin (Madrid!) Accroc au Maître de Moulins, ultérieur je crois. J'ai lu que le raffinement des maîtres flamands émerveillait les Italiens. Merveilleuse Belgique!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2011 at 3:39 PM

What an interesting place to visit, great architecture, a lot of history and great cheese and wine !

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Too long since I was in Beaune and Dijon! Thanks for memories and the introduction to the work of Rogier Van de Weyden.

• Oct 8, 2009 at 7:59 PM

What is differance of between Belgian wines and Burgundy wines?

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Une scène dans"La Grande Vadrouille"m'a toujours donné envie de visiter Beaune. Après cette lecture, je crois qu'il est temps que j'aille dire bonjour à nos"cousins". Je rapporterai sans doute quelques-uns de ces fameux saucissons. Page très intéressante.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Really enjoyed your page on Beaune. The Tapestries are indeed wonderful. And I can only imagine tasting the saucissons which are so delicious in France as are their cheeses. Hans and I passed by Beaune many years ago after visiting his sister.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2008 at 8:50 AM

What an interesting place to visit - loved the tapestries and other art work!!

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Badges & Stats in Beaune