""RÉGATES ROYALES" AT THE YACHT CLUB OF CANNES." Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes by breughel

Cannes Travel Guide: 448 reviews and 1,125 photos

"RÉGATES ROYALES"

One can go to Cannes to see pretty movie stars and starlets or to see a beautiful coast under a mild climate. I went there to see the classic and tradition sailing yachts participating to the "Royal Régates" of Cannes at the end of September.

On peut visiter Cannes pour la beauté de son paysage et la douceur de son climat ou pour le côté "bling bling" de son festival du cinéma et tout ce qui tourne autour.
J'eus la chance en cette fin de septembre d'assister aux Régates Royales groupant des voiliers classiques et de tradition, environ 150 en tout. C'était un spectacle bien supérieur aux stars montant un escalier.

LES VOILIERS ANCIENS - TRADITION YACHTS.

Wonderful sailing boats often build in the first half of the 20th c and all moored in the Vieux Port of Cannes. They were about 150 of different classes.

Quelle merveille ces voiliers, quelle finesse de formes, quel amour et perfection dans l'accastillage et l'entretien de ces voiliers souvent construits au début du 20e siècle.

THE MOTOR YACHTS OF THE BILLIONAIRES.

The contrast with the big motor yachts at the quay next to the Palais des Festivals is striking: the elegance, the slenderness of the classic sailing boats and the clumsy lines of the floating "m'as tu vu" palaces of the billionaires.

Quel contraste avec les lourds yachts "m'as-tu vu" des milliardaires amarrés près du Palais des Festivals.
A Cannes il y en a pour tous les goûts, du meilleur au pire!

• Last visit to Cannes: Sep 2008
  • Intro Written Oct 5, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I've enjoyed my tour so far. Will return later to read more.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Jul 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Lovely Canne's page! I can see why the rich and famous come here!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Hello Eddy, I’m glad to see you have done some updates since I last looked at this beautiful page in 2011. Although I had a brief stop in Cannes years ago, I have never really had a proper look at the city. But I went to Marseille and Toulon last October and will soon (?) start writing my VT pages about them.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Hello, Eddi! Thanks for your detailed and very interesting page - a great help for an enjoyable stay in Cannes!~

• alza's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Magnifique photo en Intro! J'ai lu tous vos tips avec plaisir. L'évasion de Bazaine semble spectaculaire! La vue de ces plages m'a donné des frissons... on gèle à Montréal aujourd'hui! :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Yes, I’m sure you are right that these luxury yachts spend most of their time in chic harbours and much less on the high sea. The ones I have seen don’t look very seaworthy to me, though as a landlubber I am not really qualified to decide such things. If I am ever in Cannes when there is ice or snow I will be careful not to take a taxi, LOL.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I enjoyed reading (and rating!) your Cannes tips. It has been many years since I was in the Cote d'Azur - might be time for a return visit! Thanks!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Great tips about Cannes, I really like your tips - thank you! :-)

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM

we visited cannes about 15 years ago, loved the luxury yachts, walked the croisette nightly and ate all week on Rue St. Antoine - all excellent meals. harbor pictures truly bring back the memories. also that great beach and the people on it. nice page. n.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 4:34 AM

Probably there is a special spirit in Cannes called pride of community and that is why it is so clean and well cared for. Very enjoyable page. The seafood platter looks so delicious.

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2008 at 6:46 AM

Une très belle page sur Cannes, et que de beaux voiliers!! Vous avez raison, c'est beaucoup plus intéressant que de voir des stars sur un tapis rouge :o)

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Badges & Stats in Cannes