"Our favoured Alsatian city" Top 5 Page for this destination Colmar by breughel

Colmar Travel Guide: 310 reviews and 951 photos

Colmar Christmas Markets.

Colmar is, since we discovered this town in the nineties, our favoured Alsatian city. The one were we like to stay especially in December at the time of the Christmas markets.
Indeed our preference goes to Colmar a "family sized" town much safer than Strasbourg which holds the sad record in France to have been the first to see burning cars at New Year's Eve.

Furthermore we always preferred the Christmas markets of the Alsace to those of Germany.
There is the linguistic proximity; but more, we much like the architectural style of Colmar, the many typical houses and a small river, the good atmosphere, the Alsatian food (in our opinion better than that of its German neighbour) and then the excellent white wines.

There is also the fact that each shop window in Colmar, especially at the time of the Christmas Markets, is an invitation to gourmandise. And I am a gourmet-gourmand.

All this explains that in Colmar I don't visit museums (my usual task here on VT) but walk in the streets and look at the houses and at the shops. So none of my usual long (and boring) tips on museums here, but tips about food and wine.

• Last visit to Colmar: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 8, 2009

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Hello, Eddy! Colmar is worth visiting indeed as a great Alsatian city...

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Hello Victor, nice to hear of you. Yes I prefer to stay in Colmar than in Strasbourg.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Fantastic page!

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Fine that you liked my Colmar pages. This town has my preference over Strasbourg as the surrounding wine villages are very close and quite nice as well as the wines.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Eddy, I see you have made numerous updates since I last looked at this page in 2010. Beautiful nighttime photos!

• Jul 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM

If you had 3-4 days in Alsace early October would you stay in Nancy or Colmar and if so why? Many thanks

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Certainly Colmar. Nice town, smaller and less crowded than Strasbourg (easy to visit in one day), and located close to all the charming Alsatian wine villages (not the case with Nancy). October is the time of grape harvest.

• alza's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I loved my trip in Colmar through your page! The Beerawecka looks sooo good! this past Xmas, I saw German xmas markets Frankfurt, Karlsruhe and Bavaria, really loved them, good food too! Still, Alsace is special to me. Tks for a lovely page!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Yes, making hats must have been a very profitable job in 1537. I don't think a hat maker could afford to build such a house today; perhaps the owner of a hat factory could do so. I haven't been back to Colmar for many years. Must return sometime.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2009 at 4:47 AM

something different. my cholesterol rose just reading this. my wife loves thin crust pizza. great writeup, enticing pictures. but not boiled beef, i agree.

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Badges & Stats in Colmar