"THE SPLENDOURS OF THE DUKES OF BURGUNDY." Top 5 Page for this destination Dijon by breughel

Dijon Travel Guide: 186 reviews and 445 photos

Palais des Ducs de Bourgogne.

For us Belgians Burgundy is a part of France we have very close historical links with. From the 14th to the 16th c. we belonged to the Duchy of Burgundy under the denomination of “Pays-Bas Bourguignons”.
Brussels was with Dijon one of the administrative capitals of the Dukes of Burgundy. It is not surprising therefore to find in Burgundy so many artefacts made in Brabant or Flanders which are now Belgium.

Dijon is also for present travellers a good stop on the way to the south of France.
We spent an afternoon visiting the most interesting monument of the city which is the Palais des Ducs de Bourgogne.

I started writing my comments in French as most visitors at the Palais des Ducs de Bourgogne spoke French.

• Last visit to Dijon: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 1, 2011

• Mar 13, 2014 at 7:46 PM

hello dear eddy! trying to get on here a bit more lately. love your usual "culture fix". i hope you are keeping well my friend!

• breughel's Profile Photo
      Mar 16, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Hello dear Anna,
      Nice of you to find time (between vomit and chocolate!) for a "culture fix" on my funeral monuments tips.
      With age I became more and more interested in tombs and my last reviews and travelogue concerned that very interesting subject.
      I'm a bit upset with VT that they didn't reward my numerous reviews about graves, headstones, memorials, tomb stones, funerary monuments, sarcophagi, crypts with a VTSpotlight!

• Apr 13, 2014 at 5:23 AM

Lol no vt spotlight for pages of cultural significance? Disneyland on the other hand .... ;-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Me again, coming back to look at your recent updates.

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2014 at 8:28 AM

I'm dreaming about my visit to the capital of Duchy of Burgundy!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2013 at 4:05 AM

I've really enjoyed being taken for a tour through these beautiful churches!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Hello Eddy, I’m glad to see you have expanded this page since I last looked in 2010. I have heard a lot about Dijon lately because my younger son now goes there once or twice a month. One result of this is that we now have several varieties of Dijon mustard on our table – more than I ever knew existed.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM

i could spend hours in a spectacular museum like this, great photos and history. wonderful page. n.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Nice page, I need to visit more of France!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Thanks for your tips, am heading there next April. Cheers

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2011 at 11:35 AM

altarpieces are splendid! and the StJohn sleeping is very impressive as well! I would like to visit the place one day to see all of tips you've wrote about (as well as to taste the mustard :-))

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Vos photos et descriptions de la Salle des gardes sont tout à fait captivantes! Un grand merci pour cette belle visite virtuelle :o)

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Badges & Stats in Dijon