"Discover the octagonal Eguisheim." Eguisheim by breughel

Eguisheim Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 77 photos

The Legend of Eguisheim.

Starting this intro I read the Legend of Eguisheim about Pope St Leo IX born here in 1002 as Bruno son of Count Hugon IV of Eguisheim.
If I had read the legend before visiting Eguisheim I would have understood why in the centre of the concentric narrow streets, lined with half-timbered houses and rich floral decoration, there was that really big St Leo fountain.

It's my problem; I read info when I'm back home.

No tourist rushes.

My wife and I liked Eguisheim at only 5 Km from Colmar. No tourist rushes here, a restaurant with lovely salt and sweet flammkuche and a large number of "vignerons" winegrowers with “Alsace Grand Cru” vineyards.

• Last visit to Eguisheim: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 28, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Lovely page!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Hello, Eddie! What a picturesque place to explore... Thanks for sharing!...

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2010 at 9:13 PM

What a wonderful little town. thank you for sharing. I'm now desperately trying to see if I can fit it in somewhere on my next trip to the region in August.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2009 at 5:28 AM

how amazing is this village. love the mobile bottler. and the narrow house with divided road like Rothenberg's Plonlein. And that pizza looks good enough to eat.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2009 at 5:49 AM

That's a nice little Ode to Wine on the monument. Some enterprising person had a very good and unique business idea of equipping a lorry with a mobile bottling machine for small winegrowers who can't afford one of their own.

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Badges & Stats in Eguisheim

Have you been to Eguisheim?