"Largest Commonwealth war cemetery in France." Étaples by breughel
Étaples Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 14 photos
I'm not surprised to be the first to write something on VT about Etaples at a few Km from Le-Touquet-Paris-Plage.
It is a little port at the estuary of the river Canche with nothing really interesting or typical to visit at first sight.
On the other hand I'm surprised because a few Km north of the centre is the largest Commonwealth war cemetery in France.
During WW I as many as 100.000 commonwealth soldiers were housed just outside Etaples which was the main Allied base camp.
We visited the cemetery with 12.000 graves with the same feelings we had when visiting Ypres and the Field of Flanders cemeteries in Belgium.
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission maintains over a million war graves as well as hundreds of memorials honouring... more travel advice
I stopped at this headstone because it was the first time in my visits to Commonwealth War Cemeteries that I saw the... more travel advice
breughel's Related Pages
Étaples Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Étaples
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Étaples?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Étaples
Photos in ÉtaplesSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 225 reviews, 505 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 144 reviews, 368 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 86 reviews, 216 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos
- London Intro, 58 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 58 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 35 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 42 reviews, 80 photos