"Largest Commonwealth war cemetery in France." Étaples by breughel

Étaples Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 14 photos

I'm not surprised to be the first to write something on VT about Etaples at a few Km from Le-Touquet-Paris-Plage.
It is a little port at the estuary of the river Canche with nothing really interesting or typical to visit at first sight.

On the other hand I'm surprised because a few Km north of the centre is the largest Commonwealth war cemetery in France.
During WW I as many as 100.000 commonwealth soldiers were housed just outside Etaples which was the main Allied base camp.

We visited the cemetery with 12.000 graves with the same feelings we had when visiting Ypres and the Field of Flanders cemeteries in Belgium.

• Last visit to Étaples: Jun 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2010

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2013 at 5:55 AM

And your still the only one who has written about here! I like the headstone's all being the same colour, size and style, this way the impact is much greater. So sad!

• breughel's Profile Photo
      Jul 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Hello Dee, it happens that I'm one of the very few VT active members having the experience of WW II (and my grand father WW I on the Yser, and my father May 1940) so that I'm more interested than others by some remembrance places.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Good to know that the markers are maintained so well. It is sad though to see just how many markers there is here and it is just one of many cemeteries.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2010 at 7:53 AM

As is the case in Ieper or Ypres...the numbers of casualties buried here at Étaples is staggering...I struggle to accept this..Thank goodness that for the most part the World thinks differently today than it did when these cemeteries were created!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Yes, it is surprising that no one else has written about the largest Commonwealth war cemetery in France. I was not aware that the Commonwealth War Graves Commission had built so many war cemeteries and memorials worldwide.

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Badges & Stats in Étaples

Have you been to Étaples?